    --
    Mel
    www.melikamp.net

    melikamp, Apr 18, 2004

  2. melikamp <> wrote:

    > A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
    > but when I click on the links, I get the files
    > displayed instead of downloaded.

    Please check the FAQ list http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/
    for example.

    > Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
    > dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
    > mime type?

    Why do you call .ogg "mime type"?

    > I'm looking for HTML solution that would
    > work for most (or all) browsers.

    An HTML solution? Why? This is about the HTTP protocol, not HTML.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 18, 2004

  3. melikamp

    melikamp Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> writes:

    > melikamp <> wrote:
    >
    >> A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
    >> but when I click on the links, I get the files
    >> displayed instead of downloaded.

    > Please check the FAQ list http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/
    > for example.

    Oh, that helped.

    >> Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
    >> dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
    >> mime type?

    > Why do you call .ogg "mime type"?

    Because I'm confused :p

    melikamp, Apr 18, 2004
  4. melikamp

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, .y
    says...
    > A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
    > but when I click on the links, I get the files
    > displayed instead of downloaded.
    > Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
    > dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
    > mime type? I'm looking for HTML solution that would
    > work for most (or all) browsers.

    Assuming your on a windows machine, the dialog you speak of, probably
    came up and you chose view, but did not notice that the little check box
    that said "always do it this way" was checked. (which is the default)

    To fix it, open windows explorer, and disassociate the file type oog
    with the viewer. This should open the dialog again.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Apr 18, 2004
  5. melikamp

    Whitecrest Guest

    Whitecrest, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <>, .y
    > says...
    >
    >>A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
    >>but when I click on the links, I get the files
    >>displayed instead of downloaded.
    >>Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
    >>dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
    >>mime type? I'm looking for HTML solution that would
    >>work for most (or all) browsers.

    > Assuming your on a windows machine, the dialog you speak of, probably
    > came up and you chose view, but did not notice that the little check box
    > that said "always do it this way" was checked. (which is the default)
    >
    > To fix it, open windows explorer, and disassociate the file type oog
    > with the viewer. This should open the dialog again.

    It looks to me like the original poster was complaining that the dialog
    *didn't* come up, but instead the browser tried to display the document
    internally. This sounds like a case of a server not sending the proper
    MIME type for the data type involved; for instance, if it defaults to
    "text/plain", it may show up as garbage on the screen instead of
    triggering a download or external application. This needs to be fixed
    at the server end, not the browser or operating system of the end user.
    With Apache, a .htaccess file can be used.

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Apr 18, 2004
  7. melikamp

    Spartanicus Guest

    melikamp <> wrote:

    >A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
    >but when I click on the links, I get the files
    >displayed instead of downloaded.

    Some info here: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    I recommend offering 2 links, one for streaming and one for download.

    Note that for either to work the client's UA must be configured to
    recognize the mime types. Since the mime type for Ogg files is fairly
    obscure, it's not likely that it is configured in UAs by default, you
    will have to assist users in configuring their UA via a "help" page.

    Spartanicus, Apr 18, 2004
  8. melikamp

    melikamp Guest

    "Daniel R. Tobias" <> writes:

    > Whitecrest wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> .y says...
    >>
    >>>A problem: I put some .ogg files on my web page,
    >>>but when I click on the links, I get the files
    >>>displayed instead of downloaded.
    >>>Is there any way to make the browser invoke the
    >>>dialog box, even if it's not familiar with .ogg
    >>>mime type? I'm looking for HTML solution that would
    >>>work for most (or all) browsers.

    >> Assuming your on a windows machine, the dialog you speak of,
    >> probably came up and you chose view, but did not notice that the
    >> little check box that said "always do it this way" was
    >> checked. (which is the default)
    >> To fix it, open windows explorer, and disassociate the file type oog
    >> with the viewer. This should open the dialog again.

    > It looks to me like the original poster was complaining that the
    > dialog *didn't* come up, but instead the browser tried to display the
    > document internally. This sounds like a case of a server not sending
    > the proper MIME type for the data type involved; for instance, if it
    > defaults to "text/plain", it may show up as garbage on the screen
    > instead of triggering a download or external application. This needs
    > to be fixed at the server end, not the browser or operating system of
    > the end user. With Apache, a .htaccess file can be used.

    Yes, you understood my problem exactly. My provider, doteasy,
    uses Apache/1.3.27 (Win32). So, I followed your advice by
    creating an .htaccess file, which I shoved in the root.
    I put just one line in there:

    AddType audio/basic ogg

    That didn't help. I wrote to doteasy, but they are slower
    to respond than you guys. Talk about "paying for support" :p

    --
    Mel
    www.melikamp.net

    melikamp, Apr 18, 2004