question on Safari and css

Pan

Hoping someone has some experience with this...
I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
it doesn't work on safari.

When looking for the answer, I ran across something that makes it seem
like Apple does not allow their form buttons to be changed at all?

Has anyone gotten this to work or know anything about it?

Thanks!

DU

Pan said:
Hoping someone has some experience with this...
I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
it doesn't work on safari.

When looking for the answer, I ran across something that makes it seem
like Apple does not allow their form buttons to be changed at all?

Has anyone gotten this to work or know anything about it?

Thanks!

I was about to answer you but then I noticed you also posted in other
newsgroups the same question. Why didn't you cross-posted other
newsgroups? Why do you want to create fragmented discussions over your
problem?

DU

Pan

I was about to answer you but then I noticed you also posted in other
newsgroups the same question. Why didn't you cross-posted other
newsgroups? Why do you want to create fragmented discussions over your
problem?

DU

DU,

In some groups, people get upset about crossposting to multiple groups,
especially if one of the 2 groups that I posted to was not the proper
group for my question.
So, it was not my desire to "create fragmented discussions". My apologies
if it appeared this way

DU

Pan said:
DU,

In some groups, people get upset about crossposting to multiple groups,

Multi-posting is much more irritating than cross-posting for many reasons.
especially if one of the 2 groups that I posted to was not the proper
group for my question.

Then a followup-to can be set; not possible when someone multi-post.
So, it was not my desire to "create fragmented discussions". My apologies
if it appeared this way

If your question was about css, then *posting* to
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets was making sense, you know.
If your question is about page display, then adding an url is often
necessary.

DU

Pan

Multi-posting is much more irritating than cross-posting for many reasons.

I will be sure to keep in mind everyone's preferences when next I post
here.
For anyone interested, feel free to do a google group search with
"crossposting" and view the long flamewars over it. I can't help but find
that ironic.
Then a followup-to can be set; not possible when someone multi-post.

If your question was about css, then *posting* to
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets was making sense, you know.
If your question is about page display, then adding an url is often
necessary.

DU

I have already given my explanation and have apologized for any
missunderstanding that my lack of crossposting has caused, I am not sure
what else you are looking for,

Kris

Pan said:
When looking for the answer, I ran across something that makes it seem
like Apple does not allow their form buttons to be changed at all?

Correct. Why would you want to anyway?

DU

Pan said:
I will be sure to keep in mind everyone's preferences when next I post
here.

Absolutely avoiding multi-posting is 99.9% better. Multi-posting defeats
the purpose of posts as it fragments discussions and makes people type
and repeat the same thing without knowing that the answer was already
given in another newsgroup: the poster no longer monitors all other
threads he started.
For anyone interested, feel free to do a google group search with
"crossposting" and view the long flamewars over it. I can't help but find
that ironic.

There is an importantissimo difference between cross-posting and
multi-posting. Cross-posting is ok when it is justifiable. Multi-posting
is never justifiable IMO.
I have already given my explanation and have apologized for any
missunderstanding that my lack of crossposting has caused, I am not sure
what else you are looking for,

I was merely giving you tips and recommendations. They are quoted in
this post!

DU

Mark Parnell

I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
it doesn't work on safari.

Browsers vary significantly in what they will allow authors to do to
form elements. To be honest, I'm surprised it worked in all the other
browsers you listed (which aren't anywhere near _every_ browser, BTW).

Jeff Thies

I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
it doesn't work on safari.

To be honest, I'm surprised it worked in all the other
browsers you listed (which aren't anywhere near _every_ browser, BTW).

What else is worth checking in? That's roughly the list I use (with NS7.1
and to see if it is "readable" in NS4).

I'm not intending to be argumentative, just checking to see what I'm
missing.

Jeff

Mark Parnell

What else is worth checking in? That's roughly the list I use (with NS7.1
and to see if it is "readable" in NS4).

My point wasn't so much that you should be checking in more than that
(though I would - see below), but that there _are_ a lot more browsers
out there.
I'm not intending to be argumentative, just checking to see what I'm
missing.

Well, several versions of those browsers for starters, especially IEWin.
I would also definitely add Opera (probably several versions again) to
that list. The OP was asking about Safari - I would also test in
Konqueror (uses same rendering engine as Safari, but I don't know how
similar they actually are).

Oh, and Lynx or some other text browser.

Jeff Thies

My point wasn't so much that you should be checking in more than that
(though I would - see below), but that there _are_ a lot more browsers
out there.

Well, several versions of those browsers for starters, especially IEWin.
I would also definitely add Opera (probably several versions again)

How could I have forgotten Opera! It almost always gets it right though.
that list. The OP was asking about Safari - I would also test in
Konqueror (uses same rendering engine as Safari, but I don't know how
similar they actually are).

I had no idea. Do you know what version of Safari? My old Mac with a beige
G3 won't run a late enough OS X to run a modern Safari. My Mac designer
buddy ditched IE for all but checking when he switched to Safari 1.3(?), so
I suspect it's a hell of a browser.

Think it's worth checking NS7 Mac? I seem to remember some slight
differences from it's windows counterpart. By the time everything booted up,
it'd be time for lunch!

Cheers,
Jeff

Mark Parnell

I had no idea. Do you know what version of Safari? My old Mac with a beige
G3 won't run a late enough OS X to run a modern Safari. My Mac designer
buddy ditched IE for all but checking when he switched to Safari 1.3(?), so
I suspect it's a hell of a browser.

Gotta be better than IE. :) I've used Konqueror, but not Safari, so
can't really comment. I would definitely try and test on at least one of
them though.
Think it's worth checking NS7 Mac? I seem to remember some slight
differences from it's windows counterpart.

I have no idea I'm afraid. I just wish I had access to a Mac for
testing! Note to self: find some friends with Macs.
By the time everything booted up, it'd be time for lunch!

:-D

Toby A Inkster

Mark said:
Konqueror (uses same rendering engine as Safari, but I don't know how
similar they actually are).

Font rendering and form controls are entirely different. Also browser
chrome is entirely different. Apart from that they're much the same though.

Kris

I had no idea. Do you know what version of Safari? My old Mac with a beige
G3 won't run a late enough OS X to run a modern Safari. My Mac designer
buddy ditched IE for all but checking when he switched to Safari 1.3(?), so
I suspect it's a hell of a browser.
[/QUOTE]

On the contrary. There is one standard. Every browser that aims for it,
is a good browser; modern browsers are not taken seriously anymore if
they cannot even comply with years old open standards (example, iCab for
Macintosh). IE/Win may be aiming, but misses it by a mile, while
browsers like Opera, Safari, the latest OMNIWeb webbrowser and browsers
from the Mozilla family (Mozilla, Firefox, Camino, to name a few) take
standards seriously and are far more consistent with rendering them.

Build with standards first. Test with a compliant browser, like Mozilla
Firefox. Then tweak some stuff for acceptable results in IE/Win and
maybe also IE/Mac.
Gotta be better than IE. :)

IE/Mac? (which by itself is better with standards than IE/Win, even
version 6)
I have no idea I'm afraid. I just wish I had access to a Mac for
testing! Note to self: find some friends with Macs.

Dan Vine is your friend:
<http://www.danvine.com/icapture/>

Jeff Thies

Which Safari version? Is the latest Konquerer the same as the latest Safari.
I know that the Safari support of DOM2 has come a long way.

Jeff

Kris

Dan Vine is your friend:

Really? Don't remember meeting him.[/QUOTE]

He knows where you live. Isn't that enough?
Thanks - have seen this before but never got around to using it. Still
not a substitute for testing it properly, but better than nothing. :)

True. It only shows you a snapshot of the looks.
Just tried it - I'm impressed! Safari supports text-shadow - neither
Mozilla or Opera support that.

I recall the lead programmer mentioning the implementation was easy
because of Mac OS X native support for anti-aliasing, drop shadows and
other eye candy.

Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Safari CSS button background image question

Pan said:
Hoping someone has some experience with this...
I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
it doesn't work on safari.

When looking for the answer, I ran across something that makes it seem
like Apple does not allow their form buttons to be changed at all?

Has anyone gotten this to work or know anything about it?

Thanks!

____

Did anyone ever answer (or have an answer for) the original question that was posted?

Thanks,