    like Apple does not allow their form buttons to be changed at all?

    Has anyone gotten this to work or know anything about it?

    Thanks!

    Pan, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Pan

    DU Guest

    Pan wrote:

    > Hoping someone has some experience with this...
    > I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
    > works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
    > it doesn't work on safari.
    >
    > When looking for the answer, I ran across something that makes it seem
    > like Apple does not allow their form buttons to be changed at all?
    >
    > Has anyone gotten this to work or know anything about it?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I was about to answer you but then I noticed you also posted in other
    newsgroups the same question. Why didn't you cross-posted other
    newsgroups? Why do you want to create fragmented discussions over your
    problem?

    DU

    DU, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Pan

    Pan Guest

    > I was about to answer you but then I noticed you also posted in other
    > newsgroups the same question. Why didn't you cross-posted other
    > newsgroups? Why do you want to create fragmented discussions over your
    > problem?
    >
    > DU

    DU,

    In some groups, people get upset about crossposting to multiple groups,
    especially if one of the 2 groups that I posted to was not the proper
    group for my question.
    So, it was not my desire to "create fragmented discussions". My apologies
    if it appeared this way

    Pan, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Pan

    DU Guest

    Pan wrote:

    >>I was about to answer you but then I noticed you also posted in other
    >>newsgroups the same question. Why didn't you cross-posted other
    >>newsgroups? Why do you want to create fragmented discussions over your
    >>problem?
    >>
    >>DU

    > DU,
    >
    > In some groups, people get upset about crossposting to multiple groups,

    Multi-posting is much more irritating than cross-posting for many reasons.

    > especially if one of the 2 groups that I posted to was not the proper
    > group for my question.

    Then a followup-to can be set; not possible when someone multi-post.

    > So, it was not my desire to "create fragmented discussions". My apologies
    > if it appeared this way

    If your question was about css, then *posting* to
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets was making sense, you know.
    If your question is about page display, then adding an url is often
    necessary.

    DU

    DU, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Pan

    Pan Guest

    >> DU,
    >>
    >> In some groups, people get upset about crossposting to multiple groups,

    > Multi-posting is much more irritating than cross-posting for many reasons.

    I will be sure to keep in mind everyone's preferences when next I post
    here.
    For anyone interested, feel free to do a google group search with
    "crossposting" and view the long flamewars over it. I can't help but find
    that ironic.

    >> especially if one of the 2 groups that I posted to was not the proper
    >> group for my question.

    > Then a followup-to can be set; not possible when someone multi-post.
    >
    >> So, it was not my desire to "create fragmented discussions". My apologies
    >> if it appeared this way

    > If your question was about css, then *posting* to
    > comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets was making sense, you know.
    > If your question is about page display, then adding an url is often
    > necessary.
    >
    > DU

    I have already given my explanation and have apologized for any
    missunderstanding that my lack of crossposting has caused, I am not sure
    what else you are looking for,

    Pan, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Pan

    Kris Guest

    In article <skDEc.16336$-kc.rr.com>,
    Pan <> wrote:

    > When looking for the answer, I ran across something that makes it seem
    > like Apple does not allow their form buttons to be changed at all?

    Correct. Why would you want to anyway?

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Pan

    DU Guest

    Pan wrote:

    >>>DU,
    >>>
    >>>In some groups, people get upset about crossposting to multiple groups,

    >>Multi-posting is much more irritating than cross-posting for many reasons.

    > I will be sure to keep in mind everyone's preferences when next I post
    > here.

    Absolutely avoiding multi-posting is 99.9% better. Multi-posting defeats
    the purpose of posts as it fragments discussions and makes people type
    and repeat the same thing without knowing that the answer was already
    given in another newsgroup: the poster no longer monitors all other
    threads he started.

    > For anyone interested, feel free to do a google group search with
    > "crossposting" and view the long flamewars over it. I can't help but find
    > that ironic.

    There is an importantissimo difference between cross-posting and
    multi-posting. Cross-posting is ok when it is justifiable. Multi-posting
    is never justifiable IMO.

    >>>especially if one of the 2 groups that I posted to was not the proper
    >>>group for my question.

    >>Then a followup-to can be set; not possible when someone multi-post.
    >>

    >>>So, it was not my desire to "create fragmented discussions". My apologies
    >>>if it appeared this way

    >>If your question was about css, then *posting* to
    >>comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets was making sense, you know.
    >>If your question is about page display, then adding an url is often
    >>necessary.
    >>
    >>DU

    > I have already given my explanation and have apologized for any
    > missunderstanding that my lack of crossposting has caused, I am not sure
    > what else you are looking for,

    I was merely giving you tips and recommendations. They are quoted in
    this post!

    DU

    DU, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Pan

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:08:24 GMT, Pan <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
    > works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
    > it doesn't work on safari.

    Browsers vary significantly in what they will allow authors to do to
    form elements. To be honest, I'm surprised it worked in all the other
    browsers you listed (which aren't anywhere near _every_ browser, BTW).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jul 1, 2004
  9. Pan

    Jeff Thies Guest

    <snip>

    > I am trying to apply a background image to a form button using css. It
    > works fine in every browser (IE for win, IE for mac, Mozilla, Firefox) but
    > it doesn't work on safari.

    To be honest, I'm surprised it worked in all the other
    > browsers you listed (which aren't anywhere near _every_ browser, BTW).

    What else is worth checking in? That's roughly the list I use (with NS7.1
    and to see if it is "readable" in NS4).

    I'm not intending to be argumentative, just checking to see what I'm
    missing.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 1, 2004
  10. Pan

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:32:48 GMT, Jeff Thies <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > What else is worth checking in? That's roughly the list I use (with NS7.1
    > and to see if it is "readable" in NS4).

    My point wasn't so much that you should be checking in more than that
    (though I would - see below), but that there _are_ a lot more browsers
    out there.

    > I'm not intending to be argumentative, just checking to see what I'm
    > missing.

    Well, several versions of those browsers for starters, especially IEWin.
    I would also definitely add Opera (probably several versions again) to
    that list. The OP was asking about Safari - I would also test in
    Konqueror (uses same rendering engine as Safari, but I don't know how
    similar they actually are).

    Oh, and Lynx or some other text browser.

    Mark Parnell, Jul 1, 2004
  11. Pan

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > My point wasn't so much that you should be checking in more than that
    > (though I would - see below), but that there _are_ a lot more browsers
    > out there.
    >
    > > I'm not intending to be argumentative, just checking to see what I'm
    > > missing.

    > Well, several versions of those browsers for starters, especially IEWin.
    > I would also definitely add Opera (probably several versions again)

    How could I have forgotten Opera! It almost always gets it right though.

    > that list. The OP was asking about Safari - I would also test in
    > Konqueror (uses same rendering engine as Safari, but I don't know how
    > similar they actually are).

    I had no idea. Do you know what version of Safari? My old Mac with a beige
    G3 won't run a late enough OS X to run a modern Safari. My Mac designer
    buddy ditched IE for all but checking when he switched to Safari 1.3(?), so
    I suspect it's a hell of a browser.

    Think it's worth checking NS7 Mac? I seem to remember some slight
    differences from it's windows counterpart. By the time everything booted up,
    it'd be time for lunch!

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Pan

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 04:07:34 GMT, Jeff Thies <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > I had no idea. Do you know what version of Safari? My old Mac with a beige
    > G3 won't run a late enough OS X to run a modern Safari. My Mac designer
    > buddy ditched IE for all but checking when he switched to Safari 1.3(?), so
    > I suspect it's a hell of a browser.

    Gotta be better than IE. :) I've used Konqueror, but not Safari, so
    can't really comment. I would definitely try and test on at least one of
    them though.

    > Think it's worth checking NS7 Mac? I seem to remember some slight
    > differences from it's windows counterpart.

    I have no idea I'm afraid. I just wish I had access to a Mac for
    testing! Note to self: find some friends with Macs.

    > By the time everything booted up, it'd be time for lunch!

    :-D

    Mark Parnell, Jul 1, 2004
  13. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Konqueror (uses same rendering engine as Safari, but I don't know how
    > similar they actually are).

    Font rendering and form controls are entirely different. Also browser
    chrome is entirely different. Apart from that they're much the same though.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 1, 2004
  14. Pan

    Kris Guest

    In article <g9u9owvzhjoh.19qr6jzroerom$>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > > I had no idea. Do you know what version of Safari? My old Mac with a beige
    > > G3 won't run a late enough OS X to run a modern Safari. My Mac designer
    > > buddy ditched IE for all but checking when he switched to Safari 1.3(?), so
    > > I suspect it's a hell of a browser.

    On the contrary. There is one standard. Every browser that aims for it,
    is a good browser; modern browsers are not taken seriously anymore if
    they cannot even comply with years old open standards (example, iCab for
    Macintosh). IE/Win may be aiming, but misses it by a mile, while
    browsers like Opera, Safari, the latest OMNIWeb webbrowser and browsers
    from the Mozilla family (Mozilla, Firefox, Camino, to name a few) take
    standards seriously and are far more consistent with rendering them.

    Build with standards first. Test with a compliant browser, like Mozilla
    Firefox. Then tweak some stuff for acceptable results in IE/Win and
    maybe also IE/Mac.

    > Gotta be better than IE. :)

    IE/Mac? (which by itself is better with standards than IE/Win, even
    version 6)

    > > Think it's worth checking NS7 Mac? I seem to remember some slight
    > > differences from it's windows counterpart.

    > I have no idea I'm afraid. I just wish I had access to a Mac for
    > testing! Note to self: find some friends with Macs.

    Dan Vine is your friend:
    <http://www.danvine.com/icapture/>

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl), <http://www.cinnamon.nl/>

    Kris, Jul 1, 2004
  15. Pan

    Jeff Thies Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    > > Konqueror (uses same rendering engine as Safari, but I don't know how
    > > similar they actually are).

    Which Safari version? Is the latest Konquerer the same as the latest Safari.
    I know that the Safari support of DOM2 has come a long way.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 1, 2004
  16. Pan

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:15:47 +0200, Kris <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Dan Vine is your friend:

    Really? Don't remember meeting him.

    > <http://www.danvine.com/icapture/>

    Thanks - have seen this before but never got around to using it. Still
    not a substitute for testing it properly, but better than nothing. :)

    Just tried it - I'm impressed! Safari supports text-shadow - neither
    Mozilla or Opera support that.

    Mark Parnell, Jul 2, 2004
  17. Pan

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > > Dan Vine is your friend:

    > Really? Don't remember meeting him.

    He knows where you live. Isn't that enough?

    > > <http://www.danvine.com/icapture/>

    > Thanks - have seen this before but never got around to using it. Still
    > not a substitute for testing it properly, but better than nothing. :)

    True. It only shows you a snapshot of the looks.

    > Just tried it - I'm impressed! Safari supports text-shadow - neither
    > Mozilla or Opera support that.

    I recall the lead programmer mentioning the implementation was easy
    because of Mac OS X native support for anti-aliasing, drop shadows and
    other eye candy.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Jul 2, 2004
  18. Pan

    thequad

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Safari CSS button background image question

    ____

    Did anyone ever answer (or have an answer for) the original question that was posted?

    Thanks,

    thequad, Aug 15, 2006