Questions about J2ME

Dave Rathnow

We are in the process of designing a new embedded platform for one
of our products and are evaluating whether we should develop the
controlling application with J2ME. This embedded device will be
use in industrial application to extract data from an RTU and transmit
data to a central facility on a regular or on demand basis. The data could
be transmitted using different communication protocols and medium (wired
and wireless.) The device will us a MPC855 PowerPC processor running
embedded Linux with 32MB of memory. There will be no GUI on this, only
a simple command line utility.

Can anyone with experience with J2ME give me some ideas if this is a
reasonable
platform to write a Java application using J2ME? The doc says J2ME CDC
version
requires 512K+ to run but is that really true?

Also, is there a JVM for this platform?

Thanks,
Dave.

Darryl L. Pierce

Dave said:
We are in the process of designing a new embedded platform for one
of our products and are evaluating whether we should develop the
controlling application with J2ME. This embedded device will be
use in industrial application to extract data from an RTU and transmit
data to a central facility on a regular or on demand basis. The data
could be transmitted using different communication protocols and medium
(wired
and wireless.) The device will us a MPC855 PowerPC processor running
embedded Linux with 32MB of memory. There will be no GUI on this, only
a simple command line utility.

Sounds like the ideal environment for the Foundation Profile running on the
CVM.
Can anyone with experience with J2ME give me some ideas if this is a
reasonable
platform to write a Java application using J2ME? The doc says J2ME CDC
version
requires 512K+ to run but is that really true?
Y&es.

Also, is there a JVM for this platform?

The CVM is the virtual machine for the CDC.