J2ME on PDA/cellphones

Rishi PIdva

Hi,

I wish to use J2ME for development on PDA and cellphones. After a lot of
search, I still have few things unclear. I would REALLY appreciate some
thoughts/insight on these. I have fair bit of experience in Java and lot
of background in programming in general.

I will describe the basic requirements first:
We wish to connect our PDA to a serial (RS232) device to read serial
data which would be then transferred to PC over wireless network. The
wireless network needs to be secure, preferably SSL.

1) Which virtual machine will be the best? I dont mind using
PersonalJava instead of J2ME for the same.

2) Also I noticed than MIDP 2.0 has https connection etc but most of the
devices doesn't support MIDP 2.0 right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

3) What classes can I use to communicate with Serial devices in J2ME.
These are not "virtual" serial (like USB and IR) devices but real ones.
It would have been much easier in C++ or C but we don't wish to
recompile our code for each of the target platform thats why Java .

PLEASE HELP.

-Rishi