questions from a java programmer

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Fred McCann, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Fred McCann

Fred McCann Guest

I'm about to start a project which as usual is tight on time. I need to develop a collection of applications that are web based and provide an extensive amount of web services to C clients. I'd assumed that I'd write the webapps and middleware using Java. While I'm very comfortable with Java and many java frameworks, even with build tools, code generators, and frameworks, writing code in Java takes quite some time. I've just recently become aware of Ruby and it looks like a solid scripting language (I'd previously hit brick walls with PHP's object model that drove me to Java).

My questions are these:

1. Does Ruby have some sort of ORM that's comparable to the ease of use and efficiency of Hibernate?

2. How good is Ruby's support for SOAP webservices, specifically hosting web services that deal with complex types?

Any feedback is greatly appretiated.

- Fred
    Fred McCann, Mar 22, 2005
    1. Advertising

2. Fred McCann

John Wilger Guest

Check out the excellent web framework Ruby on Rails
    (http://www.rubyonrails.com). Sounds like it would be perfect for what
    you are trying to achieve.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:46:26 +0900, Fred McCann
    <> wrote:
    > I'm about to start a project which as usual is tight on time. I need to develop a collection of applications that are web based and provide an extensive amount of web services to C clients. I'd assumed that I'd write the webapps and middleware using Java. While I'm very comfortable with Java and many java frameworks, even with build tools, code generators, and frameworks, writing code in Java takes quite some time. I've just recently become aware of Ruby and it looks like a solid scripting language (I'd previously hit brick walls with PHP's object model that drove me to Java).
    >
    > My questions are these:
    >
    > 1. Does Ruby have some sort of ORM that's comparable to the ease of use and efficiency of Hibernate?
    >
    > 2. How good is Ruby's support for SOAP webservices, specifically hosting web services that deal with complex types?
    >
    > Any feedback is greatly appretiated.
    >
    > - Fred
    >
    >

--
    Regards,
    John Wilger

-----------
    Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
    "Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
    "I don't know," Alice answered.
    "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
    - Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland
    John Wilger, Mar 22, 2005
    1. Advertising

3. Also check out the SOAP library (part of the standard libraries). Very
    easy to use.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:46:26 +0900, Fred McCann
    <> wrote:
    > I'm about to start a project which as usual is tight on time. I need to develop a collection of applications that are web based and provide an extensive amount of web services to C clients. I'd assumed that I'd write the webapps and middleware using Java. While I'm very comfortable with Java and many java frameworks, even with build tools, code generators, and frameworks, writing code in Java takes quite some time. I've just recently become aware of Ruby and it looks like a solid scripting language (I'd previously hit brick walls with PHP's object model that drove me to Java).
    >
    > My questions are these:
    >
    > 1. Does Ruby have some sort of ORM that's comparable to the ease of use and efficiency of Hibernate?
    >
    > 2. How good is Ruby's support for SOAP webservices, specifically hosting web services that deal with complex types?
    >
    > Any feedback is greatly appretiated.
    >
    > - Fred
    >
    >
    Patrick Hurley, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Fred McCann

James Britt Guest

James Britt, Mar 22, 2005
    1. Advertising