Re: Crystal "PrintToPrinter" will not print to Zebra Label Printer... HELP!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Homer J Simpson, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. "ATJaguarX" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > A thing to point out... when I hit the code "PrintToPrinter" the
    > activity light on the Zebra Label Printer blinks once... and thats
    > it... nothing else happens. So I know its getting something, but it is
    > apparently missing something as well.
    >
    > I have gone as far as setting the PaperSize, PaperSource, PageMargins,
    > PaperOrientation to try to find something to make it print... but no
    > such luck.

    Have you tried appending a form feed to the printer output?

    Homer J Simpson, Apr 13, 2006

  2. Homer J Simpson

    ATJaguarX Guest

    How do I append a form feed to the printer output?

    ATJaguarX, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Homer J Simpson

    ATJaguarX, Apr 13, 2006
  4. "ATJaguarX" <> wrote in message

    > How do I append a form feed to the printer output?

    That IS a question! Try adding another PrintDocument.Print() to your Printer
    Object. Does the printer have a formfeed button? What happens if you print
    from VB, take the printer offline and press it?

    Homer J Simpson, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Homer J Simpson

    ATJaguarX Guest

    I'm not using a printer object... I'm using a Crystal Reports
    "ReportDoc" object to print the report.

    ATJaguarX, Apr 14, 2006
  6. Homer J Simpson

    ATJaguarX, Apr 14, 2006
  7. "ATJaguarX" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not using a printer object... I'm using a Crystal Reports
    > "ReportDoc" object to print the report.

    If you print more than one page do all but the last one print?

    Homer J Simpson, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Homer J Simpson

    ATJaguarX Guest

    The label is only 1 page. I have tried printing pages 1 to 10...
    nothing prints at all.

    ATJaguarX, Apr 14, 2006
  9. "ATJaguarX" <> wrote in message

    > The label is only 1 page. I have tried printing pages 1 to 10...
    > nothing prints at all.

    I can only suggest you try printing to a file and looking at the output. You
    could also look at the properties for the printer. One final idea, set up a
    generic printer and try some different commands with that.

    Have you tried zebra.com?

    Homer J Simpson, Apr 14, 2006
  10. Homer J Simpson

    ATJaguarX Guest

    I have tried Zebra.com... they have nothing on there in terms of
    Crystal Reports and/or .NET.

    ATJaguarX, Apr 17, 2006
  11. "ATJaguarX" <> wrote in message

    > I have tried Zebra.com... they have nothing on there in terms of
    > Crystal Reports and/or .NET.

    At this point I would look for a copy of 'prn2file' and use it to see what
    is actually going to the printer.

    Homer J Simpson, Apr 17, 2006
  12. I am having a similar problem trying to print using the .NET
    printdocument and printdialog controls from my new application.

    The Zebra printer will flash the data light, but nothing prints.

    I can print to the printer using notepad or word, but not from my .NET
    application.

    I can print to other printers from my .NET application and I can send
    the raw data to the Zebra printer using ZPL instructions... but this
    does not provide the quality and data matrix size that I must have.

    Have you found a solution to your situation yet?

    Laurie Curtis, Apr 26, 2006
  13. Homer J Simpson

    SomeTom

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Crystal XI error when printing to Zebra printer

    I am having a somewhat different problem, but it is definitely related to the Zebra printer. I was printing to the printer from the Crystal Viewer but it wouldn't print Landscape. Business Objects said the work around was to use the Report Engine directly. I changed my code to use it and now it generates an error of 'index out of bounds' when calling the PrintToPrinter method. Business Objects lists this as a known issue (article ID c2017199) involving custom paper sizes, and has a posted HotFix.

    http://support.businessobjects.com/library/kbase/articles/c2017199.asp

    It didn't help. I've updated my own workstation, recompiled the app, rebuilt the installer package, and uninstalled - reinstalled the app on the target machine. The target machine also has Crystal XI installed. I've updated it with the HotFix and rebuilt the report, all to no avail.

    ******* sigh ********

    If any body learns anything about the Zebra v. Crystal problems, please post.

    SomeTom, Jul 3, 2006
  14. Homer J Simpson

    SomeTom

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Hope this helps someone - my problem is fixed

    The original Crystal issue and hotfix (that didn't help), wan't related to paper sizes, but paper source. I added one line of code, telling it that the paper source should be 'Auto', before sending it to the printer, and it works fine now.

    Label is the name of the VB form, and .ReportDoc is a CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument
    Label.ReportDoc.PrintOptions.PaperSource = CrystalDecisions.Shared.PaperSource.Auto

    SomeTom, Jul 5, 2006
  15. I've developed hundreds of programs that print to a Zebra printer in COBOL.
    Try programming using the ELP printer language directly to the printer
    instead of using the print spooler program. I can send you a sample output
    that prints a bin label that I redirected to file.All fields and field types
    are human readable.They five you a program to design your label and than
    save the work to a human readable file that you than can program in your
    program. This file from the program saves in ELP language.

    Steve

    Stephen Plotnick, Sep 6, 2006
  16. Homer J Simpson

    Adam.Edmonds

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Did anyone find a solution that works? I tried setting my papersource to auto. When I did that I got the right number of Labels, but printed with the wrong orientation. I have both the code setting to Landscape and the printer default and prefereneces set to print landscape.

    Thanks,

    Adam.Edmonds, Apr 4, 2007
  17. Homer J Simpson

    howc

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I've got another problem, but I'm using Crystal Reports (10 SP6) and an Zebra-Printer (110PAX3), so maybe you could help me here

    Pre-story:
    I'Ve got a small label with a barcode on it: "IDAutomation Barcode 128". But my barcodereader can't read it, although it can read the Barcode 128.
    Problem:
    I changed my barcodefont to the printer-internal "ZB Code 128". Viewing my design in crystal reports, the barcode shows up in plain text. But it prints the barcode (readable for my barcodescanner) when I press the print button in CR.
    Using my C#-application, it prints the code in plain text. But I can't guess why, or how I can fix it.

    the c#-Program doesn't do very much. it just fills less than 10 datafields.

    Thanks
    Andreas

    howc, Apr 25, 2007
  18. Homer J Simpson

    hernanbalda

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I've got the same problem, can you solve it??? how??

    hernanbalda, Sep 18, 2008