Re: refresh frame. How ?

NightRunner

Hi all!

I have a little problem... and it IS browser specific apparantly,
nonetheless I am desperate for a resolution that gives me what I want.

I am building a simple chat page with PERL, and the actual chat text
is shown in an inline frame that refreshes itself every couple of
seconds. I have the PERL script actually writing the contents of this
iframe as an html file containing the meta refresh tag that reloads
the chat text automatically, and of course contains the chat text
itself plus user name etc. In a rare burst of cleverness, I thought I
could cause this page to roll to it's own bottom by placing an <a
name="currententry"></a> tag at the bottom of the page code, under the
last chat entry, and then have all calls to that framed page as:

http://www.site.com/page.html#currententry

And you know what? I was right! With Mozilla Firefox it works
perfectly! The chat text frame reloads every couple of seconds just
like it should, and always automagically goes to the bottom just like
I wanted it to. It's flawless, right?! Wrong! MSIE not only makes an
annoying click on each refresh, but also REFUSES to seek the bottom of
the page where it is supposed to. The sad fact of life is that 90% or
more of the Internet community seems to use MSIE... so... I am royally
screwed here. To that end, this is what I want to know:

1) WHY does:

content="5";url="http://www.site.com/chat.html#currententry">

work perfectly for Firefox and not MSIE???

2) Can it be made to work somehow that will cover my user base without
me having to make them do things they don't want to do to their
system/browser?

3) Is there perhaps a javascript method I could use that would work
better?

4) Is there ANY way to kill that clicking noise besides messing with
the preferences on all machines involved?

Please, if I have left out anything critical, remind me and I'll be
more than glad to elaborate. Thanks for any help!!

- NR

"The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical
model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a
universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go
to all the bother of existing?"

- Stephen Hawking

---------------------------------------
Amateur Astronomy Page:
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/nightrunner/skyview.html

Our Webcam:
http://web.infoave.net/~missy1/cam/webcam.html

Jedi Fans

NightRunner said:
3) Is there perhaps a javascript method I could use that would work
better?

ok if the same domain put this in one of the other frames on the
frameset page]...

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
function doRef(){
parent.FRAMENAME.location.href=window.FRAMENAME.location;
parent.FRAMENAME.window.scrollTo(0,parent.FRAMENAME.document.body.scrollHeight);
}
window.setInterval("doRef()",5000);
//--></script>

should work

NightRunner

Thanks both of you for the responses... I can't believe I ressurected
an old thread to do this post, how frigging embarrassing... I can't
even understand how that happened except that I am sick with some sort
of virus and apparantly it made me lose track of which buttons I was
clicking. Sigh... been on Usenet since 1992 and I can't even do a
simple post.

Toby, thanks for the heads up about the fucked up syntax, and the
probably about javascript... Curiously enough, with the syntax fix,
now MSIE refreshes the frame once and stops. Firefox still loves it...

Jedi, thanks much for the snippet of code. Considering that meta
refresh is about tapped out, I think I'll be trying my luck with
javascript next.

Again, sorry about the thread ressurection... :-(