RE: "The system cannot find the file specified" appears peridically in runtime

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Hi Ofer,

    Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
    From the error info you provided, seems the occur is caused by the page
    failed to load the assembly of a certain ascx usercontrol. Is the
    <pix:xxxxx ...> the usercontrol? Also, does the problem always occur on
    that particular page and the referenced usercontrol? If so, would you
    provide the position of the page and usercontrol in your website
    application's folder structure (in the same directory or not ....).

    Based on my experience, such assembly not found error may caused by the new
    different compilation model, when the referenced ascx control is not put in
    the same directory with the page that use it, the classes(page class and
    the usercontrol's class) may be compiled into different dynamic generated
    assembly which cause control reference not found..... Also, is your
    usercontrol derived from another ascx usercontrol in the application? If
    so, this is also the possible cause, since the base ascx control's class
    maybe compiled in to different assembly.
    If this is the problem, you can try explicitly add the following directive
    in page's aspx to reference the usercontrol(or base usercontrol) so that
    the usercontrol's code will be compiled into the same assembly with the
    page:

    <%@ Reference Control="~/UserControls/WebUserControl.ascx" %>

    If there're anything I didn't quite get or any other finding, please feel
    free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 4, 2006

  2. Steven Cheng[MSFT]

    Ofer Zelig Guest

    Thank you so much for your answer. I'm sorry for the late response, I wasn't
    "online" in the last week.

    As for your questions - pix:DispOfficeMajor is indeed the usercontrol. The
    error occurs on different pages that use/call this control, and as noted
    before - the control (and the whole project) is perfectly compiled.
    An interesting point is the directory structure. The website consists of
    "public" part, root folder of the website - in which that control resides,
    and a backoffice part. As you can see, according to the error report, the
    page that threw the error resides inside the BackOffice folder - which is
    NOT a virtual directory nor contains a Web.config file. The only means of
    difference of the BackOffice folder are in the main site's Web.config file,
    where Forms Authentication definition tags refer to it as this folder
    (BackOffice) requires authentication (as opposed to the root folder which is
    a public web site).
    Anyway, I don't think that the above site structure raises the error, since
    as I said - a stop-start action on IIS fixes it.

    As for your second suggestion - Reference problem. That sounds like a
    possible option for the problem. But:
    1. The control is called by different ASPX pages. Does each one of them
    have to contain the <%@ Reference %> tag? If so - would the control be
    compiled with each one of them separately?
    2. In any case, as noted - Stop-Start on IIS fixes the issue, so I doubt
    if an explicit <%@ Reference %> tag would make the difference. I can't
    reproduct the problem (it just happens from time to time) so I can't check
    with and without the <%@ Reference %> tag to see if that maked the
    difference...
    Note - the control is not inherited from another user control.

    I'll be glad to get an advise for further suggestions....

    Best Regards,
    Ofer

    Ofer Zelig, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Seems a bit different than I've expected. Is it possible that you provide
    me a simplified test project with a page and the necessary simplified
    usercontrols so that I can test on my local side?

    Thanks,

> [...]

    | > the usercontrol's code will be compiled into the same assembly with the
    | > page:
    | >
    | > <%@ Reference Control="~/UserControls/WebUserControl.ascx" %>
    | >
    | > If there're anything I didn't quite get or any other finding, please
    feel
    | > free to post here.
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Ofer Zelig" <>
    | > | Subject: "The system cannot find the file specified" appears
    peridically
    | > in runtime
    | > | Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:46:27 +0200
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > | use simple compilation model (all .cs files are uploaded to the
    | > |
    | > | Sometimes, and I can't point in which circumstances, the ASP.NET
    Runtime
    | > | Engine throws the following message, in specific pages (not in all of
    | the
    | > | pages):
    | > |
    | > | A full HTML version of the error is available in the attachment for
    this
    | > | message.
    | > |
    | > | I could only manually resolve the problem by performing a Stop-Start
    | > actions
    | > | on this web site, or performing a dummy change in Global.asax .
    | > | Needless to say, the code including the mentioned ASCX file is
    perfect,
    | > and
    | > | there are no permission problems.
    | > |
    | > | Software specifications: Windows Server 2003, IIS 6, .NET runtime
    | > | v2.0.50727, plenty of RAM and HD space.
    | > |
    | > | p.s. a similar problem is described here (submitted by some other
    person
    | > on
    | > | the web): http://forums.asp.net/799026/ShowPost.aspx (in that case,
    it's
    | > | BETA according to the submission date, but in my case it's the full
    | > official
    | > | .NET 2 runtime release)
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 11, 2006
  4. Steven Cheng[MSFT]

    Ofer Zelig Guest

    I'm afraid that it would be very complicated to create a test project...
    which should resemble as much as possible from our full project (that's
    because we can't pinpoint the cause) and on the other hand be "naked"...

    Ofer Zelig, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Well, that's be a bit hard to locate the actual problem from the surface.
    If you feel it an urgent issue, I'd suggest you directly contact PSS to
    done some thorough throubleshooting on this which may help you find the
    root cause...

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "Ofer Zelig" <>
    | Subject: Re: "The system cannot find the file specified" appears
    peridically in runtime
    | Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:18:44 +0200
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | I'm afraid that it would be very complicated to create a test project...
    | which should resemble as much as possible from our full project (that's
    | because we can't pinpoint the cause) and on the other hand be "naked"...
    |

    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Seems a bit different than I've expected. Is it possible that you
    provide
    | > me a simplified test project with a page and the necessary simplified
    | > usercontrols so that I can test on my local side?
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Ofer Zelig" <>
    | > | Subject: Re: "The system cannot find the file specified" appears
    | > peridically in runtime
    | > | Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:56:48 +0200
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | Thank you so much for your answer. I'm sorry for the late response, I
    | > wasn't
    | > | "online" in the last week.
    | > |
    | > | As for your questions - pix:DispOfficeMajor is indeed the usercontrol.
    | The
    | > | error occurs on different pages that use/call this control, and as
    noted
    | > | before - the control (and the whole project) is perfectly compiled.
    | > | An interesting point is the directory structure. The website consists
    of
    | > | "public" part, root folder of the website - in which that control
    | resides,
    | > | and a backoffice part. As you can see, according to the error report,
    | the
    | > | page that threw the error resides inside the BackOffice folder - which
    | is
    | > | NOT a virtual directory nor contains a Web.config file. The only means
    | of
    | > | difference of the BackOffice folder are in the main site's Web.config
    | > file,
    | > | where Forms Authentication definition tags refer to it as this folder
    | > | (BackOffice) requires authentication (as opposed to the root folder
    | which
    | > is
    | > | a public web site).
    | > | Anyway, I don't think that the above site structure raises the error,
    | > since
    | > | as I said - a stop-start action on IIS fixes it.
    | > |
    | > | As for your second suggestion - Reference problem. That sounds like a
    | > | possible option for the problem. But:
    | > | 1. The control is called by different ASPX pages. Does each one of
    | > them
    | > | have to contain the <%@ Reference %> tag? If so - would the control
    be
    | > | compiled with each one of them separately?
    | > | 2. In any case, as noted - Stop-Start on IIS fixes the issue, so I
    | > doubt
    | > | if an explicit <%@ Reference %> tag would make the difference. I can't
    | > | reproduct the problem (it just happens from time to time) so I can't
    | check
    | > | with and without the <%@ Reference %> tag to see if that maked the
    | > | difference...
    | > | Note - the control is not inherited from another user control.
    | > |
    | > | I'll be glad to get an advise for further suggestions....
    | > |
    | > | Best Regards,
    | > | Ofer
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    | page
    | > on
    | you

    | the