    Regards,
    Subhabrata.
    , Jan 29, 2013

  2. Mikhail Vladimirov, Jan 29, 2013

  3. Lew Guest

    Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > subhabangalore wrote:
    >> The suggestions and the solutions given by the learned members of the
    >> group are very nice. Thank you for your kind time.

    >> Now as a new learner of the language, I am trying to consolidate my
    >> learning.

    >> I want to read about good coding standards, and read some good codes in
    >> its various aspects.

    > I think "The Practice of Programming" by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike is
    > well worth having. It describes good approached to naming, program layout
    > and writing programs so they are easier to debug and maintain. There's
    > not a lot about Java in it (its main focus is on C) but what it says is
    > generally applicable to block structured languages: it gives examples in
    > C, C++, Java, and Perl but its suggestions would be equally applicable to
    > Python and Pascal.

    As mentioned upthread, there are standards specific to Java.

    They boil down to:
    - Use camel case for identifiers except constant variables.
    - Start variable and method names (except constant variables) with a lower-case letter.
    - Start type names with an upper-case letter.
    - Constant variables are spelled with all upper case, with word parts separated by underscores.
    - Do not use underscores for any other identifiers, and do not use the dollar sign "$" in identifiers.
    - Indent four spaces (or two) per indent level. DO NOT USE TAB CHARACTERS TO INDENT.
    - Enclose all sub-statements (conditional blocks, loop blocks, initializers, ...) in braces.
    - Use either K&R brace placement or put the opening brace on its own line aligned with the
    control line. (The second approach is unofficial but widely used.)
    - Declare static variables (constants first), then static methods, then instance variables, then
    instance methods within a type. (Reasonable deviations exist.)
    - Use fully descriptive variable names. (Avoid shorthand like 'int s = ...'.)
    - Javadoc all elements accessible outside the type.
    - Names should reflect algorithmic purpose, not data type.

    There's more, but that'll get you started.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 29, 2013
  4. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 1/29/2013 11:29 AM, wrote:
    > The suggestions and the solutions given by the learned members of the group are very nice. Thank you for your kind time.
    >
    > Now as a new learner of the language, I am trying to consolidate my learning.
    >
    > I want to read about good coding standards, and read some good codes in its various aspects.
    >
    > I was trying to search there are quite a few. But if you can kindly suggest.

    For a specific coding convention for Java go for the SUN (now Oracle)
    Java Coding Convention.

    For the reason behind using a coding convention go for a book
    like Code Complete.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 29, 2013