Recommendations for combo box control

Hans Merkl

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a combo box control (textfield + dropdown list) for
ASP.NET?

I have looked at some products and it seems they all have some problems. I
haven't yet found a combo box control that works on IE, Firefox and Opera.

I am open to commercial and open source projects.

Thanks

Hans

Guest

We started with this one (http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/combobox.asp) and
modified it to be more what we wanted. It wasn't very hard.

I asked the all knowing oracle (aka Google) and it came back with a handful
of controls for sale if you don't want to take it on yourself. Some of which
are on the ASP.NET site.

Hope this helps,
curt

Bruce Barker

all implemenations of a combobox require heavy use of client script and good
knowledge of browser quirks to handle keyboard input, sizing, etc.

you are better off to not fight the browser and use a different interface.

-- bruve (sqlwork.com)

Hans Merkl

Do you have any suggestions for how to replace a combox box?
In my app users can directly type the number of an office or select the
name from a list box. I guess the common approach would be to offer an
input field and a button that offers the list in a separate window. That
would work but it's much slower than a combo box.

Hans

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Hans,

I think Bruces's consideration of the difficulty for supporting complex
scripting in multiple browsers are reasonable. For your scenario, do you
think it possible that we just use a TextBox with another ListBox control
instead of a encapsulated ComboBox control? Since most web form combobox
controls are built by textbox+listbox, also if we just use a textbox and
listbox(doesn't bind them too tight...), we can use some simple client
script to make them communicate. Also, your idea of displaying a separate
page for selecting item is one possible approach.

If there're any other consideration or ideas, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: Hans Merkl <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Recommendations for combo box control
| Sender: (e-mail address removed)
| Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:35:10 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Do you have any suggestions for how to replace a combox box?
| In my app users can directly type the number of an office or select the
| name from a list box. I guess the common approach would be to offer an
| input field and a button that offers the list in a separate window. That
| would work but it's much slower than a combo box.
|
| Hans
|

| > all implemenations of a combobox require heavy use of client script and
good
| > knowledge of browser quirks to handle keyboard input, sizing, etc.
| >
| > you are better off to not fight the browser and use a different
interface.

| > -- bruve (sqlwork.com)

| >> Can anybody recommend a combo box control (textfield + dropdown list)
for
| >> ASP.NET?
| >>
| >> I have looked at some products and it seems they all have some
problems. I
| >> haven't yet found a combo box control that works on IE, Firefox and
Opera.

| >> I am open to commercial and open source projects.
| >>
| >> Thanks
| >>
| >> Hans

Hans Merkl

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:24:33 GMT, Steven Cheng[MSFT] wrote:
The combo box is just such a useful control. Could you imagine MS Access
forms without combo boxes? Access would lose half of its productivity.

Hans

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for the quick response Hans,

Yes, I totally agress with you on the importance of Combobox control,
however most cases are for desktop in-memory application (Office, winform,
.....). For ASP.NET application it is an abstract layer over the raw HTTP
request/response model and HTML elements, most of the ASP.NET controls just
mapped to html elements and some are encapsulate mutiple of the html
elements. And since the HTML model doesn't provide an HTML combobox
element, what we have to do is manually create such functionality through
combining other html element ( input text field and <select> list...) and
script code... However, since mutiple browsers has heterogenous on script
supporting, it makes creating a perfect composite control more difficult.
So what we can do is using the existing controls or elements to make them
work together ( those 3rd party combobox webserver control based on this
...)

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: Hans Merkl <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Recommendations for combo box control
| Sender: (e-mail address removed)
| Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:02:14 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:24:33 GMT, Steven Cheng[MSFT] wrote:
| The combo box is just such a useful control. Could you imagine MS Access
| forms without combo boxes? Access would lose half of its productivity.
|
| Hans
|

| > Hi Hans,
| >
| > I think Bruces's consideration of the difficulty for supporting complex
| > scripting in multiple browsers are reasonable. For your scenario, do
you
| > think it possible that we just use a TextBox with another ListBox
control
| > instead of a encapsulated ComboBox control? Since most web form
combobox
| > controls are built by textbox+listbox, also if we just use a textbox
and
| > listbox(doesn't bind them too tight...), we can use some simple client
| > script to make them communicate. Also, your idea of displaying a
separate
| > page for selecting item is one possible approach.
| >
| > If there're any other consideration or ideas, please feel free to post
here.

| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| >| From: Hans Merkl <[email protected]>
| >| Subject: Re: Recommendations for combo box control
| >| Sender: (e-mail address removed)
| >| Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:35:10 -0500
| >| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| >|
| >| Do you have any suggestions for how to replace a combox box?
| >| In my app users can directly type the number of an office or select the
| >| name from a list box. I guess the common approach would be to offer an
| >| input field and a button that offers the list in a separate window.
That
| >| would work but it's much slower than a combo box.
| >|
| >| Hans
| >|
| >|