Recommendations On Starting a Java Program Remotely

Eddy C

I'm looking for a relatively elegant way of starting up a java program
remotely and sending it to the background. I tried using plink but it
was hanging on stdin I think. Obviously I could just log into the
machine, use nohup but I need to do this programmatically from java.

TIA

Tim

rexec, rcmd? Maybe a Linux newsgroup has a more elegant way.

Also could run a server like rmi there and kick it off that way.

Guess you could script out your rlogin in Java as well.

TimJowers

Thomas Weidenfeller

Eddy said:
I'm looking for a relatively elegant way of starting up a java program
remotely and sending it to the background. I tried using plink but it
was hanging on stdin I think. Obviously I could just log into the
machine, use nohup but I need to do this programmatically from java.

Programatically from Java, without calling any additional tools? Then
you will have to implement one of the protocols the remote machine
understands. Since this depends on the configuration of that machine,
you have to do your own research. E.g. you might need some telnet, rsh,
ssh or similar client implementation to simply talk to the remote
machine (Google for Java implementations of these protocols).

If you can use external programs, simply use exec() calls to invoke
things like your telnet, ssh or rsh client.

/Thomas