Recommended library for parsing RSS and Atom feeds

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Richard Conroy, Jun 23, 2010.

    I am looking to sort through the various options for processing RSS/Atom
    feeds in Ruby.
    I did some basic research, and FeedTools looks like the incumbent option,
    though many (old)
    blog posts warned that it is only minimally maintained (if at all).
    FeedZirra looks very popular,
    has been recommended here, and activity is pretty high.

    Does anyone have a complete list of all the library options? ( a link to a
    roundup article/blog post
    would be great)
    Does anyone have a particular favourite? Why you prefer it over other
    options?

    Posting links to reasonably up to date articles would be best. Google
    searches are turning up
    older articles predominantly, and thats not a good sign IMO.

    High on my list of features is:
    - Heroku compatibility.
    - Easy to use in a way that respects the feeds source
    - Allows me to treat RSS/Atom the same

    regards,
    Richard

    --
    http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

    Richard Conroy, Jun 23, 2010

  2. Richard Conroy

    Intransition Guest

    On Jun 22, 8:09=A0pm, Richard Conroy <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > =A0 =A0I am looking to sort through the various options for processing RS=

    S/Atom
    > feeds in Ruby.
    > I did some basic research, and FeedTools looks like the incumbent option,
    > though many (old)
    > blog posts warned that it is only minimally maintained (if at all).
    > FeedZirra looks very popular,
    > has been recommended here, and activity is pretty high.
    >
    > Does anyone have a complete list of all the library options? ( a link to =

    > roundup article/blog post
    > would be great)
    > Does anyone have a particular favourite? Why you prefer it over other
    > options?
    >
    > Posting links to reasonably up to date articles would be best. Google
    > searches are turning up
    > older articles predominantly, and thats not a good sign IMO.
    >
    > High on my list of features is:
    > - Heroku compatibility.
    > - Easy to use in a way that respects the feeds source
    > - Allows me to treat RSS/Atom the same

    Nokogiri, LibXML-Ruby, REXML

    I've been down the road of creating a parser for these and, in my
    experience, it turns out to be a YAGNI, because an XML parser works
    well enough.

    Intransition, Jun 23, 2010

    On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Intransition <> wrote:

    > On Jun 22, 8:09 pm, Richard Conroy <> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I am looking to sort through the various options for processing

    > RSS/Atom
    > > feeds in Ruby.

    > > Does anyone have a complete list of all the library options? ( a link to

    > > roundup article/blog post
    > > would be great)
    > > Does anyone have a particular favourite? Why you prefer it over other
    > > options?

    > Nokogiri, LibXML-Ruby, REXML
    >
    > I've been down the road of creating a parser for these and, in my
    > experience, it turns out to be a YAGNI, because an XML parser works
    > well enough.

    A bit low level aren't they? Don't really want to get my hands too dirty
    with Schema formats etc. Want something that is simple enough to
    use and has respectable performance (which won't be the case with
    anything I hand-write).
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Richard
    --
    http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

    Richard Conroy, Jun 23, 2010
  4. On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:43:02PM +0900, Richard Conroy wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Intransition <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 22, 8:09 pm, Richard Conroy <> wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I am looking to sort through the various options for processing

    > > RSS/Atom
    > > > feeds in Ruby.

    > > > Does anyone have a complete list of all the library options? ( a link to

    > > > roundup article/blog post
    > > > would be great)
    > > > Does anyone have a particular favourite? Why you prefer it over other
    > > > options?

    > > Nokogiri, LibXML-Ruby, REXML
    > >
    > > I've been down the road of creating a parser for these and, in my
    > > experience, it turns out to be a YAGNI, because an XML parser works
    > > well enough.
    > >

    > A bit low level aren't they? Don't really want to get my hands too dirty
    > with Schema formats etc. Want something that is simple enough to
    > use and has respectable performance (which won't be the case with
    > anything I hand-write).

    There are several listed at ruby-toolbox.com:

    http://www.ruby-toolbox.com/categories/rss_feed_parsing.html

    I've heard good tings about feedzirra (the top listed there) although
    I have not used it personally. There was a bit of buzz about it last
    year.

    enjoy,

    -jeremy

    Jeremy Hinegardner

    Jeremy Hinegardner, Jun 23, 2010
  5. Richard Conroy

    Walton Hoops Guest

    On 6/22/2010 6:09 PM, Richard Conroy wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking to sort through the various options for processing RSS/Atom
    > feeds in Ruby.
    > I did some basic research, and FeedTools looks like the incumbent option,
    > though many (old)
    > blog posts warned that it is only minimally maintained (if at all).
    > FeedZirra looks very popular,
    > has been recommended here, and activity is pretty high.
    >
    > Does anyone have a complete list of all the library options? ( a link to a
    > roundup article/blog post
    > would be great)
    > Does anyone have a particular favourite? Why you prefer it over other
    > options?
    >
    > Posting links to reasonably up to date articles would be best. Google
    > searches are turning up
    > older articles predominantly, and thats not a good sign IMO.
    >
    > High on my list of features is:
    > - Heroku compatibility.
    > - Easy to use in a way that respects the feeds source
    > - Allows me to treat RSS/Atom the same
    >
    > regards,
    > Richard

    The RSS reader in the Ruby Standard Libs supports Atom as well:
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/rss/rdoc/index.html

    It is essentially undocumented, but there are some examples at:
    http://www.cozmixng.org/~rwiki/?cmd=view;name=RSS Parser::Tutorial.en

    Walton Hoops, Jun 23, 2010