refresh tag and APPLET

pcouas

Hi all

I use a refresh http meta tag to let a html page refresh itself every 30
seconds.

Without an APPLET tag on the page the refresh works also if IE is
not the active program with user focus.

However with an APPLET tag in the html source, IE always gets the
focus and gets the active program, interrupting the user who works with
another application.

IE must not automatically get the focus, it should only refresh
the page.

Can anyone help?

Philippe

Andrew Thompson

However with an APPLET tag in the html source, IE always gets the
focus and gets the active program, interrupting the user who works with
another application.

Irritating, isn't it?

Unfortunately Sun failed to make any definitive decision on whether
a conforming browser/VM combination should leave the focus with the
applet(s) or alternately any focusable HTML elements, hence the mess.

I feel it should be left to the developer, but that poses it's own
risks for web site owners and particularly end users.
IE must not automatically get the focus, it should only refresh
the page.

Can anyone help?

Read more here, and particularly the page to which I link,
though unfortunately my server is a bit sleepy at the moment -
keep trying it.
<http://groups.google.com.au/[email protected]>

Link 6 (at the top) is the best fix I came up with.

The trick is to use JavaScript (yes, you heard me right 'script')
to wrest focus from the applet back to the page itself.

My simple hack does not fix the same focus problem on Mozilla 1.7.2,
but if your particular problem only manifests in IE you might look to
wrapping the JS call in IE conditional comments, so that other browsers
(and IE <5) do not see or act on it.

HTH

pcouas

So, You say me there is no solution .
I could only test Browser's windows has focus or not, and make a
refresh only if there is a focus ?

Philippe

Andrew Thompson

So, You say me there is no solution .

I have never said that. There may be solutions I have not found yet.
I could only test Browser's windows has focus or not,
How?

..and make a refresh only if there is a focus ?

(I suspect that) You are way out of your depth.

Your statements make me feel you do not understand how hard it
is to do what you want, and *why* it is that way.

Andrew Thompson

So, You say me there is no solution .

And since you trimmed so much, I forgot that there *was* a solution for
the stated user domain (IE), the 'link 6' returns focus to the page in IE.

To reiterate..
"My simple hack does not fix the same focus problem on Mozilla 1.7.2,
but if your particular problem only manifests in IE you might look to
wrapping the JS call in IE conditional comments, so that other browsers
(and IE <5) do not see or act on it."

This works for IE5 and IE6 with JS enabled. Most IE users who have
Java will have JS enabled (an estimate based reasonning, rather
than actual data). IE4 users are very rare these days, and most
web pages crash it.