Remote connection to the Intranet

Peter Afonin

Hello,

I've created several ASP.NET applications for our Intranet. Since we don't
want everyone to access all applications, I've added some limitations in the
Web.config:

<authorization>
<deny users="?" /> <!-- Deny anonymous users -->
<allow users="specialty\pafo"
roles="specialty\Sales, specialty\IntranetAdmins, specialty\CustServ,
specialty\IntranetArrow, specialty\IntranetArrowSales"/>
<deny users="*"
roles="[comma separated list ofBroles]"/>
</authorization>

No problem here. The problems start when our sales people try to connect to
our applications from the outside world.

1. They never have problems accessing them when they use broadband
connection, for instance, DSL.

2. But they can never connect, when they use AOL or dial-up connection. They
always get "Access denied" error.

This part I cannot understand. While I know that AOL could be tricky, what's
special about dial-up? Does dial-up protocol add something special to the
user name, so it looks like isp/username or something like this, so our
server doesn't recognize it?

I don't think there is something wrong with my security settings, since in
most cases everything works just fine.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

If i were you Peter i would consult your Network Admin he should no more
about that.
I'm sure you are in a Domain environment.
I don't think dial up could affect that since they are all going through
http protocol.
Check with your Admin guy and ask if he is giving some specific access
if connecting via dialup..etc..
Maybe there authentication get stripped of by connecting through other
means and thats your Network Setting..
Hope this helps
Patrick

Peter Afonin

Thank you, Patrick.

I'm an admin guy, and I'm not giving any specific access. Our network is
small and simple. You're correct, this doesn't make any sense to me either -
once you are connected to the Internet, it shouldn't matter whether it's DSL
or dial-up or cable. But this is a fact, and I don't understand what's going
on.

I've checked with our ISP - they don't understand this either.

Peter

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

How is authentication configured in IIS for the site or virtual directory in
question? Is it possible you have both anonymous and IWA enabled, and the
IWA works from within the office but the not from outside?

Just a guess,

Joe K.