Remoting or Web Service?

Bishop

Where I work we have the following senerio:
-Public Websites - Hosting Company
-Web Based Administration Utility - Hosting Company
-Console Applications - Corporate Office
-SQL 2000 Database - Hosting Company
-VPN Connection from the Corporate Office to the Hosting Company

We have a number of classes that exist in each of our applications. For
instance, each application (web and console) use the stock calculation
class. It's the same class in each application and every time we tweak our
stock calculation we have to update the class for each application. I would
like to have the classes in a single shared location so that we only have to
update the class once instead of in each application.

I understand how to use a webservice to return classes and collections so I
am comfortable using this method but I've heard a little about .Net Remoting
and would like some advice to see if this is a better solution for us. Any
advice would be appreciated.

Mr. Arnold

Bishop said:
[...]

I was at a .Net developers meeting held at a college this pass Thursday.
The topic was WCF, which MS is pushing. MS is going to leverage out .Net
Remoting and regular Windows Web service out of its solution in favor of
WCF Web service over HTTP, WCF TCP/IP, WCF Named Pipe, and WCF MSMQ,
along with ASP.NET Data Service that is another type of a WCF solution.

IIS 7 is already headed in that direction as IIS7 with WCF
communications can communicate with other forms of WCF solutions
running on the same box. It couldn't be done with IIS6.

cubaman

[...]

If you were using remoting, you still need a reference to the original
dll where your class reside. If you use classic ws, then the only
thing you have to do is update the web service reference when your
class has changed.
In some architectures, I had seen two different layers: one for
business objects, used internally, and one for ws messages. Then
there's another internal layer capable of creating a bo from ws
message. In that way, you don't have to update your reference if you
dont change ws message class.
Best regards,
Oscar Acosta