Remoting Question

Guadala Harry

Suppose I have one ASP.NET Web application that accesses a SQL Server on the
local machine/server. This ASP.NET application has the data access logic
already separated out into its own assembly. I want to leverage that same
assembly and SQL Server data from a second ASP.NET Web application that is
hosted on a separate machine on a different subnet. Is .NET Remoting a good
choice for accessing the database from the second Web application? or would
a Web service be a better choice?

I am under the impression that Web services are slower at runtime and are
ideal for cross-platform communications. But my scenario is .NET to .NET,
and I'd like the best performance possible.

Just looking for some general considerations - things I should look at as I
make my decision, as I'm aware that there may not be a simple answer given
the scenario.

Thanks.

Tommy

Remoting will be a good choice to have your two web application
accessing your data access component. By using the TCP transport and
Binary formatting, you will be able to get much better performance
than using web service. You are absolutely correct that web service
is slow, and it should not be used since you doing .NET to .NET.

To increase the reliability, security, performance, and scalability of
you data access component, you should host it under COM+ and utilize
the Object pooling, Just in time, and security service. Additionally,
you should have the data access component run on a separate machine.

Tommy,