RPM of Ruby 1.8.x

Matt Lawrence

Don't let that grind you down, you'll always find people willing to
help you here, you have made a smart choice with ruby, we should
encourage that.

It get tiresome at times. I'm doing what I can to avoid leaving any weird
setups for my offshore replacement.
I don't have a RHEL here right now, but if I get my hands on one I'll
let you know.

White Box Linux is a clone of RHEL 3.0. I've been using it for testing
while waiting for the RedHat Licenses to arrive. Very cool. I need to
set up a User Mode Linux virtual machine running it on one of my systems
at home.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts, it's what I can remember in time to use.

Aredridel

I'm trying to find rpms for the latest released version of Ruby. After I
pulled ruby-1.8.1-9.i386.rpm off of rubyforge, I tried to install it and
ran into missing dependecies libruby.so.1.8 & ruby-libs =
20040219:1.8.1-9.

I highly reccomend compiling from source RPMs if the distro the RPM was
built for is not your own.

Snag a .src.rpm, rpm --rebuild srpmfile -- you should get binaries.

If you want to tweak it, rpm -i srpmfile, then find the spec it spit out
(usually ruby.spec if the package name is ruby), edit the version
numbers, drop the source in the SOURCES directory, and then rpmbuild -ba
ruby.spec

Very useful, and since it was compiled on your distro, the dependencies
should resolve perfectly.