Rubuntu LiveCD I need vim/emacs configs!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. Friends-

    I am working on a linux distro liveCD called Rubuntu. Which is, you
    guessed it, a ruby/raisl centric ubuntu livecd that has the option to
    install to your HD if your so inclined. I hope to have my build
    system for this set up this weekend so i can start pumping out a few
    betas while I tweak it to perfection.

    I need some help from the community.

    What I really need some help with is killer ruby configs for vim,
    emacs and jedit. And anything else you would like to see included,
    please drop me a note and any pointers you have for configuration
    that would be best suited for this.

    I already have all the basics included as far as ruby/gems and a
    bunch of database bindings and ruby configured mongrel, apache and
    lighty. And I already have plenty of usefull ruby libs installed.
    What I really need is the icing on the cake. I want thsi to come
    setup with all the trimmings. So all you folks with killer vimrc's
    and emacs ruby configs please contact me.

    Any little creature comforts you like or nice customization you rely
    on to get through you ruby work on linux would be much appreciated.

    Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

    Thanks-
    -Ezra

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Feb 16, 2006

  2. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Barry Dmytro Guest

    * Ezra Zygmuntowicz () wrote:
    > Friends-
    >
    > Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

    I'm sorry I can't offer my ruby vimrc file. I lost it some time ago and
    instead of rewritting it I switched to scite. :(

    Although you've mostly likely considered it already a nice suite of ruby aware
    editors besides emacs, vim, and jedit would be nice. I am suggesting including
    gedit, scite, freeride, and kate (if you are going to include some kde
    libraries). I would also recommend some pure ruby editors such as diakonos.

    One other must in my eyes would be to include every ruby app and game that you
    can find that is runnable. Also of interest would be to include the ruSH (a
    ruby shell) and possibly some ruby extensions to the shell.

    You've most likely been here already, but in case you haven't I recommend
    looking at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/vim-ruby/

    Kind Regards,
    Barry Dmytro

    http://badcherry.org/

    Barry Dmytro, Feb 16, 2006

  3. On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 06:12 +0900, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
    > Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

    Awesome idea.

    Make sure it has an .irbrc with require 'irb/completion' in it. Make
    sure it includes Ruby-GNOME2. Ruby-Gecko[1] as the default browser would
    be a nice touch, if not the most effective choice. =D

    Also, ruby-electric[2] is a nice emacs mode. chris2 has some nifty ruby
    stuff[3] that requires emacs22 if you are thinking of going that route.

    I would advise against using MMM-mode for ERB by default since it seems
    to usually be more trouble than it's worth. CSS-mode is worth including.

    You can see my .emacs[4], but it's nothing special.

    -Phil Hagelberg

    1 - http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?RubyGecko
    2 - http://shylock.uw.hu/Emacs/ruby-electric.el
    3 -
    http://chneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2004/09/ete-errors-to-emacs.html
    4 - http://dev.technomancy.us/phil/browser/dotfiles

    Phil Hagelberg, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Phil Hagelberg wrote:
    > On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 06:12 +0900, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
    >> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

    > Awesome idea.
    >
    > Make sure it has an .irbrc with require 'irb/completion' in it.

    Also, sticking this in ~/.irbrc helps:

    # Works both with constants and strings (ri Hash vs ri 'Hash')
    def ri(obj)
    puts `ri #{obj}`
    end

    Eero Saynatkari, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Cool, I have a killer .irbrc already with some really nice stuff in
    it. I have made an entry on my blog and I would like to collect the
    information from everyone there in the comments if possible please:

    http://brainspl.at/articles/2006/02/16/rubuntu-is-almost-born

    There's even a cool new logo for it there ;-)

    Cheers-
    -Ezra

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Jon Baer Guest

    Ive switched from emacs to the new RadRails IDE as it is pretty slick
    although Im not sure if included a Java JVM will bloat your distro any
    or *if* you are even allowed to include a VM (I think you are) ...

    http://www.radrails.org

    Will the distro have mysql/postgres/kirbybase installed?

    - Jon

    Jon Baer, Feb 21, 2006
  7. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Martin Ellis Guest

    <posted & mailed>

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
    > Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

    Well, if we're brainstorming...

    The KDevelop packages come with modes and templates and example apps
    for developing (KDE, or other) apps in Ruby, presumably largely
    courtesy of Richard Dale.

    KOffice 1.5 will also include some (rather experimental) support for
    scripting Krita (images) and Kexi (databases) in Ruby. Only the beta
    is out so far, but you can get the Debian and Kubuntu packages.

    Martin

    Martin Ellis, Feb 21, 2006
  8. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Pistos Guest

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
    > Any little creature comforts you like or nice customization you rely
    > on to get through you ruby work on linux would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

    Well, I was about to toot my own horn, but it looks as though someone
    already mentioned it: I would be quite appreciative if you included
    Diakonos. :)

    Pistos

    Pistos, Feb 22, 2006
  9. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Pistos Guest

    Pistos wrote:
    > Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
    >> Any little creature comforts you like or nice customization you rely
    >> on to get through you ruby work on linux would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Other thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears at this point

    > Well, I was about to toot my own horn, but it looks as though someone
    > already mentioned it: I would be quite appreciative if you included
    > Diakonos. :)
    >
    > Pistos

    Sorry for the double post, but, for reference:
    http://purepistos.net/diakonos .

    Pistos, Feb 22, 2006
  10. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Gary Watson Guest

    The only must have change I always make is to include some commands at
    the bottom of the ruby.vim script in the indent directory that sets
    tabstop softtabstop and shiftwidth to 2 and turns on expandtab. This is
    nice because it only affects the .rb files, other files have the tab
    settings set to 4 which is usually what I use for non ruby stuff. I'm
    sortof surprised that these changes aren't in that file by default.

    Good luck on this project. It sounds very cool.
    Gary

    Gary Watson, Feb 22, 2006
  11. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Joe Guest

    Just a thought - what about creating a VMware player appliance with all
    the tools installed? I have an Ubuntu image with Rails/LightTPD/MySQL,
    and it works really well for use as a pre-production/stage environment.
    It acts like a separate physical machine, so you can even install SSH
    server and try out Switchtower for deployment. Plus, you don't have to
    install all these services in your host OS, which can really slow it
    down. Of course, this won't work for Mac users. But who knows what
    VMware will do.
    Joe

    Joe, Mar 1, 2006
  12. This topic has been dead for a few days...how's the project coming?

    Brandon Hines, Mar 25, 2006
  13. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    ezmobius mob Guest

    ------=_Part_21146_9935858.1143321881591

    On 3/24/06, Brandon Hines <> wrote:

    > This topic has been dead for a few days...how's the project coming?

    It's actaully progressing quite well. The holdup is because I am in the
    process of moving to another city for a new job(ruby job of course ;) and m=
    linux boxes are packed up until April 10th :/ But There will be a release i=
    April for sure. I have also ditched ubuntu as a livecd base to work off of.
    Morphix allows for a much nicer automated build process and is itself
    designed to build custom debian livecd's with and these livecd's can be
    installed to HD and augmented with a flash drive. So you can install extra
    packages and whatever else you want and it will be able to back these
    changes up to your thumb drive so you ca re-graft your changes back onto th=
    livecd when you reboot it or take it to another computer.

    There have been many great requests and I got a ton f good config files for
    various programs so this will be a fun cd. I will be sharing the entire
    build script and tutorial so folks can build their own versions if they
    want.

    So I guess i need a new name ;) Any suggestions?

    Cheers-
    Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    "Rubyists don't throw rocks at dogs"

    ------=_Part_21146_9935858.1143321881591--

    ezmobius mob, Mar 25, 2006
  14. On 3/25/06, ezmobius mob <> wrote:

    > "Rubyists don't throw rocks at dogs"

    Hehe. My quote! ;)

    Gregory Brown, Mar 25, 2006
  15. Hi,

    I would suggest "Ruby Live".

    Also, if you have enough space, I think you should not only target
    developers but also people who haven't yet switched to Ruby. For that
    purpose, you would need to install cool apps that demonstrate the power
    of Ruby. For example, you could install Typo for Rails, Alexandria for
    Ruby-GNOME2, games in Ruby/SDL etc.

    Maybe you could also start a project on Rubyforge.

    Mathieu

    Mathieu Blondel, Mar 26, 2006
  16. Good to hear that the project is alive and kicking!

    Name Suggestions:
    "Mobile Ruby" (though that sounds like a phone app)
    "RIMP" (Ruby in my Pocket) (too bad is sounds like "GIMP")
    "*Ruby" (instead of *nix)

    "Ruby Live" as suggested by another poster also sounds pretty good,
    though, in my opinion, "Live" sounds a bit generic since it's a common
    distro title. As you can see though, I'm not comming up with anything
    better. ;)

    As for a logo, the normal tux colored ruby red sitting on
    traintracks/rails would look pretty damn sweet.

    -Brandon

    Brandon Hines, Mar 26, 2006
  17. On 3/26/06, Brandon Hines <> wrote:
    > Good to hear that the project is alive and kicking!
    >
    > Name Suggestions:
    > "Mobile Ruby" (though that sounds like a phone app)
    > "RIMP" (Ruby in my Pocket) (too bad is sounds like "GIMP")
    > "*Ruby" (instead of *nix)
    >

    > "Ruby Live" as suggested by another poster also sounds pretty good,
    > though, in my opinion, "Live" sounds a bit generic since it's a common
    > distro title. As you can see though, I'm not comming up with anything
    > better. ;)
    >
    > As for a logo, the normal tux colored ruby red sitting on
    > traintracks/rails would look pretty damn sweet.

    Rubix

    Gregory Brown, Mar 26, 2006
  18. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Alex G Guest

    I was just about to say that the most obvious name for a Ruby-centric
    Linux Distro has to be Rubix, then I got to the bottom of the thread.
    Unfortunately, Google revealed that it already exists:
    http://www.rubixlinux.org/
    This doesn't really speak to me, but how about "RubyReady?"

    Alex G, Mar 26, 2006
  19. "RubyReady" rolls right of the tounge. Slick. ;0

    Brandon Hines, Mar 27, 2006
  20. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Kris Leech Guest

    Kris Leech, Mar 29, 2006