    Andrea

    --
    MySQL and PHP are popular not because of their quality, but despite it.

    spaghetticode, Oct 7, 2010

  2. On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM, spaghetticode
    <> wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > 1) guess I should pack it with RubyScript2Exe to make it executable on
    > any windows machines, right?

    Pretty much. Or you can create a setup archive, including the Ruby
    interpreter and your app. It'll clock in rather heavily, but you have
    pretty much perfect control where what goes.

    > 2) is there a (quick) way to build a GUI box that will allow me to
    > select interactively a filesystem path using only the mouse? What
    > library should I stick to?

    Any will work, and which you want to stick to depends on what GUI
    toolkits you have worked with already. If your stance is "no
    preference" or "never worked with GUI toolkits at all", you could give
    Shoes[0] a try.

    [0] http://shoes.heroku.com/

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,
    (Ah, how soon!) they forget
    When I've moved on to some other place,
    There may be one or two,
    When I've played and passed through,
    Who'll remember my song or my face.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Oct 7, 2010

  3. spaghetticode

    Quintus Guest

    Quintus, Oct 7, 2010
  4. spaghetticode

    Allan Davis Guest

    I agree with Quintus, OCRA and wxRuby are the way to go. If you want to see
    an example of an application I created for that check out
    http://github.com/javaalley/dragons_keep. I also used datamapper for a
    database engine.

    Allan Davis
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/javaalley

    Allan Davis, Oct 7, 2010
  5. Allan Davis <> wrote:

    > I agree with Quintus, OCRA and wxRuby are the way to go. If you want to see
    > an example of an application I created for that check out
    > http://github.com/javaalley/dragons_keep. I also used datamapper for a
    > database engine.

    Thanks to everyone for the bootstrap, that was exactly what I needed

    Andrea

    --
    MySQL and PHP are popular not because of their quality, but despite it.

    spaghetticode, Oct 7, 2010
  6. spaghetticode

    Roger Pack Guest

    > a friend of mine has asked me to write a quick and simple application
    > that should run only on windows OSes. It should be a desktop GUI
    > application. It's pretty simple in its working as it should basically
    > just move some given files from one location to a couple of others.

    recommend jruby + swing + rawr
    -r

    Roger Pack, Oct 14, 2010