Ruby Certification Test

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John Joyce, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. John Joyce

    John Joyce Guest

    In the Japanese page of Ruby Association, at http://www.ruby-assn.org/
    releases/2007091901.html.ja
    There is an announcement about the Ruby Programming Language
    Certification Test.
    It is available this starting this October 27th in Japanese in Matsue
    city in Shimane prefecture, Japan.
    The English version of the test will be available online in February
    of 2008.

    The English page of Ruby Association has not yet been updated to
    reflect this information, but I believe many would be happy to hear
    about it!

    For more information,
    contact Mr. Shugo Maeda at:

    I for one, hope we can establish a testing location in Austin!

    Note:
    Although the demand for certifications varies with different
    technologies and different organizations and even cultures,
    in Japan there is generally a certification process for just about
    everything you can imagine. Holding even the most obscure but
    relevant certification is well-regarded in Japan as reflecting your
    dedication to the subject matter.

    John Joyce, Oct 23, 2007

  2. John Joyce

    Ari Brown Guest

    On Oct 22, 2007, at 8:39 PM, John Joyce wrote:

    > In the Japanese page of Ruby Association, at http://www.ruby-
    > assn.org/releases/2007091901.html.ja
    > There is an announcement about the Ruby Programming Language
    > Certification Test.
    > It is available this starting this October 27th in Japanese in
    > Matsue city in Shimane prefecture, Japan.
    > The English version of the test will be available online in
    > February of 2008.
    >
    > The English page of Ruby Association has not yet been updated to
    > reflect this information, but I believe many would be happy to hear
    > about it!

    PLEASE tell me it's possible to achieve online! I've counted **two**
    rubyists in my state who aren't 3 hours away.

    Ruby Rox My Sox AND Yours
    ---------------------------------------------------------------|
    ~Ari
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it" --1337est
    man alive

    Ari Brown, Oct 23, 2007

  3. John Joyce

    John Joyce Guest

    On Oct 22, 2007, at 8:42 PM, Ari Brown wrote:

    > On Oct 22, 2007, at 8:39 PM, John Joyce wrote:
    >
    >> In the Japanese page of Ruby Association, at http://www.ruby-
    >> assn.org/releases/2007091901.html.ja
    >> There is an announcement about the Ruby Programming Language
    >> Certification Test.
    >> It is available this starting this October 27th in Japanese in
    >> Matsue city in Shimane prefecture, Japan.
    >> The English version of the test will be available online in
    >> February of 2008.
    >>
    >> The English page of Ruby Association has not yet been updated to
    >> reflect this information, but I believe many would be happy to
    >> hear about it!

    > PLEASE tell me it's possible to achieve online! I've counted
    > **two** rubyists in my state who aren't 3 hours away.

    Not yet, but apparently it will be in the near future. There were not
    many details available, only an announcement really.
    FAIK it could be Duke Nukem' Forever...

    John Joyce, Oct 23, 2007
  4. John Joyce

    Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ari Brown wrote:

    > PLEASE tell me it's possible to achieve online! I've counted **two** rubyists
    > in my state who aren't 3 hours away.

    You aren't in Wyoming, are you? :)

    Kirk Haines
    in Veteran, Wyoming

    , Oct 23, 2007
  5. John Joyce

    John Joyce Guest

    On Oct 23, 2007, at 9:40 AM, Arlen Christian Mart Cuss wrote:

    > On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:42 +0900, Ari Brown wrote:
    >> PLEASE tell me it's possible to achieve online! I've counted **two**
    >> rubyists in my state who aren't 3 hours away.

    > Try Australia .... hm.. but certification sounds awesome.
    >
    > Arlen

    The US isn't the only place with "states"!
    Mexico has states too.

    John Joyce, Oct 23, 2007
  6. On 10/23/07, John Joyce <> wrote:

    > On Oct 23, 2007, at 9:40 AM, Arlen Christian Mart Cuss wrote:
    >

    > > On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:42 +0900, Ari Brown wrote:
    > >> PLEASE tell me it's possible to achieve online! I've counted **two**
    > >> rubyists in my state who aren't 3 hours away.

    > > Try Australia .... hm.. but certification sounds awesome.
    > >
    > > Arlen
    > >

    > The US isn't the only place with "states"!

    Let alone the only "United States"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_(disambiguation)

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

    Rick DeNatale, Oct 23, 2007
  7. John Joyce

    Robert Dober Guest

    > The US isn't the only place with "states"!
    > Mexico has states too.

    I have even seen machines with states ;)
    R.
    --
    what do I think about Ruby?
    http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/

    Robert Dober, Oct 23, 2007
  8. > The English page of Ruby Association has not yet been updated to
    > reflect this information, but I believe many would be happy to hear
    > about it!

    For me this is great news! I live in Colombia and this country is
    obsessed with certifications and certifcates.

    I certainly hope the test is available online because we are certainly
    lacking on testing centres in this neck of the jungle (just kidding...
    no jungle)

    Jason Bornhoft, Oct 23, 2007
  9. John Joyce

    Pat Maddox Guest

    On 10/22/07, John Joyce <> wrote:
    > In the Japanese page of Ruby Association, at http://www.ruby-assn.org/
    > releases/2007091901.html.ja
    > There is an announcement about the Ruby Programming Language
    > Certification Test.
    > It is available this starting this October 27th in Japanese in Matsue
    > city in Shimane prefecture, Japan.
    > The English version of the test will be available online in February
    > of 2008.
    >
    > The English page of Ruby Association has not yet been updated to
    > reflect this information, but I believe many would be happy to hear
    > about it!
    >
    > For more information,
    > contact Mr. Shugo Maeda at:
    >

    > I for one, hope we can establish a testing location in Austin!
    >
    > Note:
    > Although the demand for certifications varies with different
    > technologies and different organizations and even cultures,
    > in Japan there is generally a certification process for just about
    > everything you can imagine. Holding even the most obscure but
    > relevant certification is well-regarded in Japan as reflecting your
    > dedication to the subject matter.

    There's 0 chance that I'd get a Ruby certification, and I'd laugh at
    any potential employer who asked me about it.

    Pat

    Pat Maddox, Oct 23, 2007
  10. Hi --

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Pat Maddox wrote:

    > On 10/22/07, John Joyce <> wrote:
    >> In the Japanese page of Ruby Association, at http://www.ruby-assn.org/
    >> releases/2007091901.html.ja
    >> There is an announcement about the Ruby Programming Language
    >> Certification Test.
    >> It is available this starting this October 27th in Japanese in Matsue
    >> city in Shimane prefecture, Japan.
    >> The English version of the test will be available online in February
    >> of 2008.
    >>
    >> The English page of Ruby Association has not yet been updated to
    >> reflect this information, but I believe many would be happy to hear
    >> about it!
    >>
    >> For more information,
    >> contact Mr. Shugo Maeda at:
    >>

    >> I for one, hope we can establish a testing location in Austin!
    >>
    >> Note:
    >> Although the demand for certifications varies with different
    >> technologies and different organizations and even cultures,
    >> in Japan there is generally a certification process for just about
    >> everything you can imagine. Holding even the most obscure but
    >> relevant certification is well-regarded in Japan as reflecting your
    >> dedication to the subject matter.
    >>

    > There's 0 chance that I'd get a Ruby certification, and I'd laugh at
    > any potential employer who asked me about it.

    I would say that about any unofficial certification, but if Matz and
    Shugo are behind it, it's probably reasonable to give it a bit more
    weight or at least a second look.

    David

    * Advancing With Rails, Edison, NJ, November 6-9
    See http://www.rubypal.com for details!

    David A. Black, Oct 23, 2007
  11. John Joyce

    James Britt Guest

    Pat Maddox wrote:

    > There's 0 chance that I'd get a Ruby certification, and I'd laugh at
    > any potential employer who asked me about it.
    >
    > Pat

    :)

    It's interesting how the tone of this thread differs from previous
    incantations. There used to be considerably more scoffing at the notion
    of a Ruby certification.

    Is there a shark pool nearby? With a ramp?

    :)

    --
    James Britt

    www.risingtidesoftware.com - Wicked Cool Coding

    James Britt, Oct 24, 2007
  12. John Joyce

    Ari Brown Guest

    On Oct 23, 2007, at 10:03 AM, wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ari Brown wrote:
    >
    >> PLEASE tell me it's possible to achieve online! I've counted
    >> **two** rubyists in my state who aren't 3 hours away.

    > You aren't in Wyoming, are you? :)

    Close.

    New Hampshire / Vermont

    In terms on online security, that pretty much nailed me down to one
    of 3 people :-D

    ---------------------------------------------------------------|

    Ari Brown, Oct 24, 2007
  13. John Joyce

    Robert Dober Guest

    On 10/24/07, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Pat Maddox wrote:
    >

    > > There's 0 chance that I'd get a Ruby certification, and I'd laugh at
    > > any potential employer who asked me about it.
    > >
    > > Pat

    > :)
    >

    > It's interesting how the tone of this thread differs from previous
    > incantations. There used to be considerably more scoffing at the notion
    > of a Ruby certification.
    >

    > Is there a shark pool nearby? With a ramp?
    >
    > :)

    Oh right, I forgot to mention it,

    certifications stink,
    thanx for reminding me James ;)
    R.

    Robert Dober, Oct 24, 2007
  14. John Joyce

    John Joyce Guest

    On Oct 24, 2007, at 3:50 AM, Jay Levitt wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:02:17 +0900, James Britt wrote:
    >
    >> It's interesting how the tone of this thread differs from previous
    >> incantations. There used to be considerably more scoffing at the
    >> notion
    >> of a Ruby certification.

    > Well, my first instinct was to get snarky, but the more I read, the
    > more I
    > realized that I shouldn't assume that other countries have the same
    > employment culture as the U.S. - and, particularly, the U.S. in the
    > Internet sector.
    >
    > I do like the opportunity to point out a great quote by Steve Yegge:
    >
    > "Certification is for the weak. It's something that flags you as a
    > technician when you really want to be an engineer. If you want to be a
    > television repairman, you can become certified in TV repair. If you
    > want to
    > work for Sony and design their next big-screen TV, then you clearly
    > don't
    > need a busy-working-adults course on how to repair the fugging
    > things."
    >
    > http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/09/ten-tips-for-slightly-less-
    > awful-resume.html
    >
    > --
    > Jay Levitt |
    > Boston, MA | My character doesn't like it when they
    > Faster: jay at jay dot fm | cry or shout or hit.
    > http://www.jay.fm | - Kristoffer

    Actually, that's a horrible quote. The Japanese engineers who design
    TVs and LCD monitors are full of certs and ISOs and stuff. One of my
    in-laws is one of them.
    In any country there exists the possibility for the truly brilliant
    to do what they do without these things. But it is good to have them.
    It is simply one way to show evidence of your abilities.

    John Joyce, Oct 24, 2007
  15. John Joyce

    Robert Dober Guest

    On 10/24/07, John Joyce <> wrote:

    > On Oct 24, 2007, at 3:50 AM, Jay Levitt wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:02:17 +0900, James Britt wrote:
    > >
    > >> It's interesting how the tone of this thread differs from previous
    > >> incantations. There used to be considerably more scoffing at the
    > >> notion
    > >> of a Ruby certification.

    > > Well, my first instinct was to get snarky, but the more I read, the
    > > more I
    > > realized that I shouldn't assume that other countries have the same
    > > employment culture as the U.S. - and, particularly, the U.S. in the
    > > Internet sector.
    > >
    > > I do like the opportunity to point out a great quote by Steve Yegge:
    > >
    > > "Certification is for the weak. It's something that flags you as a
    > > technician when you really want to be an engineer. If you want to be a
    > > television repairman, you can become certified in TV repair. If you
    > > want to
    > > work for Sony and design their next big-screen TV, then you clearly
    > > don't
    > > need a busy-working-adults course on how to repair the fugging
    > > things."
    > >
    > > http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/09/ten-tips-for-slightly-less-
    > > awful-resume.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jay Levitt |
    > > Boston, MA | My character doesn't like it when they
    > > Faster: jay at jay dot fm | cry or shout or hit.
    > > http://www.jay.fm | - Kristoffer
    > >

    > Actually, that's a horrible quote. The Japanese engineers who design
    > TVs and LCD monitors are full of certs and ISOs and stuff. One of my
    > in-laws is one of them.
    > In any country there exists the possibility for the truly brilliant
    > to do what they do without these things. But it is good to have them.
    > It is simply one way to show evidence of your abilities.

    Hmm, I really go with James on this, this has been discussed on this
    list and a huge majority agreed that certificates are a business way
    to exploit a hype.

    Now I cannot say how this is in Japan and I have overlooked that we
    were indeed talking about a Japanese certification. My apologies if
    what I think about the West World Certificates does not apply for you.
    If certificates are indeed part of your culture than they are for sure
    more than a business hype.

    Notwithstanding I believe that certificates for Ruby - on a global
    base - are a *very* bad idea.

    Cheers
    Robert

    Robert Dober, Oct 24, 2007
  16. John Joyce

    Bill Plummer Guest

    I hold a number of language certifications and none will make you a
    programmer.

    However, that said, IMO certification does force a "programmer" to study
    corners of the language he might not have been used before. Many times
    I've had an "Ah Haw" while looking at something that did not relate to
    my daily programming needs.

    So, certifications have value, and if a Ruby cert becomes available I
    will probably STUDY and set for the exam.

    Will it make me a better programmer? Maybe...

    However, in the USA, certification hasn't been positive or negative for
    me from a job search perspective.

    Or, maybe it was negative on some of those interviews where I didn't get
    hired:)

    Bill

    Bill Plummer, Oct 24, 2007
  17. John Joyce

    Todd Benson Guest

    On 10/24/07, Robert Dober <> wrote:
    > Notwithstanding I believe that certificates for Ruby - on a global
    > base - are a *very* bad idea.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Robert

    I agree. The best place to find Ruby talent is probably on this list
    and also the good people that have contributed to rubyforge (which I
    have not, oh well ;)

    I've met many certified people that didn't know one thing from the
    other when it really came down to it.

    I will say, however, that the PE (professional engineer test) is
    pretty good at ferreting out who knows bull crap and who knows what
    they're doing. It's almost like Ruby Quiz, in a way.

    Todd

    Todd Benson, Oct 24, 2007
  18. Jay Levitt wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:02:17 +0900, James Britt wrote:
    >
    >> It's interesting how the tone of this thread differs from previous
    >> incantations. There used to be considerably more scoffing at the notion
    >> of a Ruby certification.

    > Well, my first instinct was to get snarky, but the more I read, the more I
    > realized that I shouldn't assume that other countries have the same
    > employment culture as the U.S. - and, particularly, the U.S. in the
    > Internet sector.
    >
    > I do like the opportunity to point out a great quote by Steve Yegge:
    >
    > "Certification is for the weak. It's something that flags you as a
    > technician when you really want to be an engineer. If you want to be a
    > television repairman, you can become certified in TV repair. If you want to
    > work for Sony and design their next big-screen TV, then you clearly don't
    > need a busy-working-adults course on how to repair the fugging things."
    >
    > http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/09/ten-tips-for-slightly-less-awful-resume.html

    I have very little respect for Steve Yegge. He comes across as arrogant,
    especially in his postings on "employment culture," and his
    pronouncements on programming languages are less valuable to me than
    most of the *trolls* on that subject in Ruby-Talk. :) YMMV, etc., but
    somehow I think I'd rather have a Ruby certification than a snotty
    comment from Steve Yegge. But I think I want to get my Forth
    certification first. :)

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Oct 24, 2007
  19. When we interview the only qualification that is acceptable as a
    substitute for experience is a degree, and then only from a recent
    graduate. Otherwise you will need to show some experience, preferably
    contribution to some project so that we can examine your code in the
    wild (you do document, comment and test your code don't you?) If all
    you can show is 'certification' your CV will get binned.

    Honestly, what do you expect? Certificates are for school sports day to
    make little children feel good about themselves, they will not make up
    for experience.

    Peter Hickman, Oct 24, 2007
  20. John Joyce

    Robert Dober Guest

    On 10/24/07, Peter Hickman <> wrote:
    > When we interview the only qualification that is acceptable as a
    > substitute for experience is a degree, and then only from a recent
    > graduate. Otherwise you will need to show some experience, preferably
    > contribution to some project so that we can examine your code in the
    > wild (you do document, comment and test your code don't you?)

    No, No, Yes
    The first No is a problem and I try to document my code a little bit
    after I have released it, but I shall document it much more. We are
    talking Class, Module and Traits ;) level here, right?
    The second No is a Must, I'd rather rewrite my code than to comment it.
    If you cannot read one of my methods I have to rewrite it, not to comment it!
    Actually I have to rewrite a lot of code, I know :(.
    Well at least we agree about the tests, I feel BTW much more need to
    comment my tests, seems to be a problem with my test code.
    <snip>

    Cheers
    Robert

    Robert Dober, Oct 24, 2007