    Many thanks by advance for your pointers.

    --
    Gilles
    Gilles Lenfant, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Gilles Lenfant

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Gilles Lenfant wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I googled for a "ruby presentation for python programmers" (like me :) but
    > didn't find - or search correctly - anything relevant.

    I think there is something like this on rubygarden.org -- sorry I can't
    be more specific.

    Hal
    Hal Fulton, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Gilles Lenfant

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Hal Fulton wrote:
    > Gilles Lenfant wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I googled for a "ruby presentation for python programmers" (like me
    >> :) but
    >> didn't find - or search correctly - anything relevant.

    > I think there is something like this on rubygarden.org -- sorry I can't
    > be more specific.

    Umm, there is also an appendix in _The Ruby Way_. :)

    The Python appendix was contributed by Guy Hurst.

    Hal
    Hal Fulton, Jan 3, 2004
  4. il Sun, 4 Jan 2004 01:35:47 +0900, Hal Fulton
    <> ha scritto::

    >Gilles Lenfant wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I googled for a "ruby presentation for python programmers" (like me :) but
    >> didn't find - or search correctly - anything relevant.

    >I think there is something like this on rubygarden.org -- sorry I can't
    >be more specific.

    I suppose hal means this:
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyFromOtherLanguages
    and specifically:
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyFromPython

    Btw, I suppose that page mostly shows how to do stuff in ruby that you
    usually do in python.

    And avoids stuff in ruby that you don't do in python, for this part I
    suppose you just need to follow this list enough :)
    gabriele renzi, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Gilles Lenfant

    Guest

    , Jan 3, 2004
  6. Hal Fulton wrote:
    > Umm, there is also an appendix in _The Ruby Way_. :)

    I find the said document very helpful, as well as the "From Perl To
    Ruby" section, as I dabble in these three languages. Very recommended
    reading for Perl/Python programmers.

    BTW, the "What's New In Ruby 1.8" part needs quite serious updating
    though. Specifically, it doesn't mention important modules like YAML and
    Ruby/DL, both of which are a god-send for me.

    I wonder if there is a plan for a 2nd edition of The Ruby Way.

    > The Python appendix was contributed by Guy Hurst.

    --
    dave
    David Garamond, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Greg McIntyre, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Gilles Lenfant

    Hal Fulton Guest

    David Garamond wrote:
    > I find the said document very helpful, as well as the "From Perl To
    > Ruby" section, as I dabble in these three languages. Very recommended
    > reading for Perl/Python programmers.
    >
    > BTW, the "What's New In Ruby 1.8" part needs quite serious updating
    > though. Specifically, it doesn't mention important modules like YAML and
    > Ruby/DL, both of which are a god-send for me.

    Yes, much of it is out of date. This book was started late in 2000,
    and finished in the fall of 2001. It doesn't mention REXML or any
    number of other things.

    > I wonder if there is a plan for a 2nd edition of The Ruby Way.

    There is some discussion of it. But the publisher has this
    silly idea of wanting to make money rather than making
    altruistic contributions to the computing community.

    Seriously, Ruby is not immensely popular yet, and thus has not
    been lucrative for the publishers (or authors). This may
    change -- indeed we're all counting on Ruby to get popular,
    aren't we?

    There's also the question of whether a second edition should
    be timed with 1.9 or with 2.0. I think I can see advantages
    and disadvantages both ways.

    Hal
    Hal Fulton, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Hi Hal,

    "Hal Fulton" <> wrote in message

    > Seriously, Ruby is not immensely popular yet, and thus has not
    > been lucrative for the publishers (or authors).

    Is this true in general or you talking of some specific publisher here?
    I would imagine that someone like O'Reilly will be willing to take the risk?
    They have books on Bioinformatics, which I think has narrower
    audience than Ruby. Am I just naive or what ?

    > This may change -- indeed we're all counting on Ruby to get popular,
    > aren't we?

    Yes, we are :). And things may have changed already (again at least
    at O'Reily) considering that we now have our own track at OSCON.

    > There's also the question of whether a second edition should
    > be timed with 1.9 or with 2.0.

    That depends on how long it will take to go from 1.9 to 2.0. and how
    much will change between the two. If it is significant change but coming
    within a year or two then we should wait for 2.0.

    > I think I can see advantages and disadvantages both ways.

    Yep.

    -- shanko
    Shashank Date, Jan 5, 2004
  10. [Shanko:]
    >> There's also the question of whether a second edition should
    >> be timed with 1.9 or with 2.0.

    > That depends on how long it will take to go from 1.9 to 2.0. and how
    > much will change between the two. If it is significant change but
    > coming within a year or two then we should wait for 2.0.

    1.6 -> 1.8 took a significant time (2+ years?).

    1.8 -> 2.0 is going to be a much more dramatic change. I've made my
    conclusions :)

    All existing dead-tree books cover 1.6, but 1.8 is a major advance in the
    platform, and will be more and more widely used for the next few years, so
    a book on Ruby 1.8 would be very handy.

    Gavin
    Gavin Sinclair, Jan 5, 2004
  11. Shashank Date wrote:
    > Is this true in general or you talking of some specific publisher here?
    > I would imagine that someone like O'Reilly will be willing to take the risk?
    > They have books on Bioinformatics, which I think has narrower
    > audience than Ruby. Am I just naive or what ?

    Yes, I'm also surprised that O'Reilly hasn't put out more Ruby titles.
    Especially since they have like 250 Perl books already, from Perl & LWP
    to Perl & XML to mod_perl. After all, Ruby is becoming the non-vaporware
    version of Perl6 isn't it? :)

    --
    dave
    David Garamond, Jan 5, 2004