Ruby MySQL Gem uses older client library

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Paul Mcconnon, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. Hi there, can ayone enlighten me on why I Ruby (using MySQl gem) would
    use an older client library.

    I have an XP box for developing and an Ubuntu box for deployment.

    Both have 5.x clients installed. The ubuntu still has older clients as
    well.

    Some code I have written requires the 5.x client. This code runs on the
    XP box but not on the Ubuntu box (apart from this glitch other Ruby /
    Mysql works fine)

    In investigating the issue I ran IRB, required 'mysql' and called
    Mysql.get_client_version. The version reported on Ubuntu was a 4.x
    driver, the version on XP the correct 5.x driver.

    Ubuntu's libraries and config are correctly set at 5.x and symlinks
    point to correct libraries.

    I am thinking I may have installed the 5.x client after I has installed
    the 2.7 mysql gem, would this 'lock' the Gem to the older client? Do I
    need to re-install / rebuild the Gem??

    Any help appreciated, thanks.

    Paul

    ps I tried searching forum first but search is disabled, apologies if
    this has been asked before. I tried googling to no avail.

    Paul Mcconnon, Aug 2, 2006

  2. Jeff Everett wrote:
    > Paul,
    >
    > You will probably need to reinstall the MySQL gem. When that gem
    > installs,
    > it compiles native extensions based on your current MySQL libraries. If
    > you
    > upgrade MySQL, you have to recompile the gem.
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks very much Jeff.

    Regards,

    Paul