RubyGems and RPA

vruz

My sense is that most Windows users really _don't_ care too much about
I'm getting lost again. What is it that Windows users care or not
care about? :)

Valid, interesting question.

Should we try to define different "target profiles" or "user roles"?

1) Ruby coders: IMHO, don't really need gui except for complex
installations, such as the case of the OneClickInstaller, that
prepares a full-blown workbench. Most experienced coders I know prefer
control instead of colours and whistles. (hey, they may want the
whistles if they can still be in control). Now, I personally believe
complexity can be encapsulated and hidden to some degree, but it must
always be accessible, and that´s goes for new ruby programmers too.
GUI installer examples from the extra-ruby world: the Tomcat
installer, the Java webstart installer, etc.
BUT: when you need to deploy applications INTO Tomcat, you don´t
normally use an installer, unless it's a really big thing and mission
critical that could also be prepackaged with Tomcat included.

When a developer uses an installer, becomes a user type 2: GUI user
setting up a full blown application.

When a developer installs a new library, module, extension, etc.
he/she is a user type #1: developer at work

2) Final user of Applications written in Ruby: here GUIs and
installers are the rule, not the exception, installation should be
seamlessly integrated with the default package management tool for the
host system (in case there´s one available)
ie: rpm for redhat, dmg for MacOsX, ¿¿ msi for windows ??
(really, what does "package management" mean in the Windows world ?)
A Ruby application shouldn't feel any different from one written in
another language in the same host system.
That includes setting the right registry entries, setting up, starting
and stopping system services, etc.
The Unix version of this would be writing configs to /etc, and
managing the SysV init system. (there might be slight variations of
this for different Linux distros and Unices)

3) Packagers: don't really need a GUI, except for tools that ease the
task to browse through categories of packages, perhaps task automation
for the building process and other niceties will come later. Still
all the GUI should ideally run as an alternative frontend, the
underlaying engine should be in place first and not directly tied to
any user interface.

The OneClickInstallers seem to be addressing a series of needs from
each of these roles.
I understand Curt's concern and it's a wise decision to present
optional packages as a category tree, I just think the installer in
this case should unify the criteria and be either an installer or a
gui frontend to a package manager, mantaining both can be a
nightmare.

that's all I can think of from the top of my head, there's probably
room for improvement

gabriele renzi

Gavin Sinclair ha scritto:
I'm getting lost again. What is it that Windows users care or not
care about? :)

well, *I* would like to have the chance to repkg gems and rpas as .msi
files.. t even use this ability, but I would like to have the choice.

Tim Hunter

What are we actually talking about here? RubyGems is designed for the
packaging of Ruby libraries and applications. Those have no need to
use the registry. Oh.... applications, start menu, all that s..t. I
get it...

Gavin, I initiated one of the RubyConf conversations about a RubyGem
post-install hook. I asked about it because Kaspar Schiess' Gem for
RMagick (http://rmagick.rubyforge.org) on MS Windows could use it.
When you install RMagick on Windows, you run the Gem like any other
Gem, but after the normal part is done you have to run a
"post-install" script, too. This script scans the Windows Fonts
directory and builds the font index that ImageMagick uses. IMO this
looks clumsy, and since it's unusual it's easy for the user to
overlook it.

Of course this step is unique to the RMagick install, but I think it's
likely that many extensions will want to add custom installation steps
to their Gem install. One of the nice features of Minero Aoki's
setup.rb (http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/setup/) is the availability
of pre- and post- hooks for all of the setup steps: config, setup, and
install. For example, I take advantage of the post-setup and
post-install hooks for the RMagick installation to build and install
the example images for the RMagick documentation.

Eivind Eklund

I think you are ignoring a very important platform...Win32.

I don't get it. Are you trying to say that being able to export other
packaging formats is in conflict with Win32? If so, I don't get it -
I see this as fairly orthogonal to the idea of doing our own
management on Windows, and a boon for being able to work with standard
Windows installer files a la
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/msi/setup/windows_installer_start_page.asp

Please explain.
Realize that
Ruby is a very effective language for folks that merely want to automate
their platform, and most computer users are running Win32 (unfortunate, but
true). For them, they want binary versions of libraries and a graphical
installer.

Some of them; not all of them, I think. But I agree that this is one
of the relevant target gorups.
RubyGems does support win32, and will include a GUI for gems
management.

I could replace "RubyGems" with "RPA" in the above sentence.

Eivind.

Austin Ziegler

Okay ... both Chad and Rich have misunderstood what I've said.

I want to manage Ruby packages only through Ruby tools. I do not want
to have fifteen separate installers (and fifteen corresponding entries
in the Win32 app list). Ideally, the RubyGem Win32 installer will
provide a way to manage this automagically.

-austin

Henrik Horneber

Austin said:
Okay ... both Chad and Rich have misunderstood what I've said.

I want to manage Ruby packages only through Ruby tools. I do not want
to have fifteen separate installers (and fifteen corresponding entries
in the Win32 app list). Ideally, the RubyGem Win32 installer will
provide a way to manage this automagically.

-austin

Hi!

How do other tools/environments do it?

MIKTex for example, a LaTeX distribution for Windows, has one very small
setup file, that allows you to install individual packages. The base
system which includes all major binaries is one, mandatory, package. If
you want to change something or uninstall, you can access the setup prog
from the Win32 app list or you can start the setup yourself, If you
want more sophisticated GUI tools, start the extra package browser or
package updater (which allows to update the base system as well, since
it is only a package).

I think it's very convenient.

regards,
Henrik

Richard Kilmer

I have not misunderstood you. I am building a GUI for Win32 that lets you
manage rubygems (add/remove/etc). This does not use win32 msi files for
every gem...i agree that would suck (IMHO). If no one wants to use said GUI
interface, you don't have to.

Aredridel

To summarize, I have a request: If anyone is trying to repackage
rubygems for any other system--native or not (RPA)--please keep the
feedback coming. We want to know if it was hard or even if it was
easy. Without hearing your specific stories, it's not going to get
better much faster. The rubygems-developers list on RubyForge is the
best place to send this kind of thing.

Aright. Subscribing now.

Gavin Sinclair

Okay ... both Chad and Rich have misunderstood what I've said.
I want to manage Ruby packages only through Ruby tools. I do not want
to have fifteen separate installers (and fifteen corresponding entries
in the Win32 app list). Ideally, the RubyGem Win32 installer will
provide a way to manage this automagically.

I'd like to see a Win32 program that's dedicated to providing
installation support for gems/rpas. I don't see why the core code for
those two systems should be polluted with garbage about the Windows
registry, the Unix /etc, or anything else. They are by Rubyists, for
Rubyists, in Ruby code, for Ruby (and C) code.

Applications that have special installation requirements should have a
convenient means for those to be met, but building those means into
RubyGems/RPA is like a watercolor painting left out in the rain.

Cheers,
Gavin