running a Delphi part from Python ?

Stef Mientki

I'm starting to get used to wxPython (coming from Delphi),
and it seems it can do almost everything I need.

Now one thing I'm missing is a good RichEditor.
I've a good RichEdit in Delphi ...
.... so what are the possibilities to include that in Python ?

The most simple for me to do,
seems to create a DLL, which contains the RichEdit and all it's controls,
as an MDI child window.

So how could I interface to some Delphi-DLL in Python ?
And maybe even more complicated,
is a MDI-child written in a Delphi-DLL,
identical to the wxPython MDI-child
( If I remember well, I read somewhere that MDI is implemented in it's own manner,
not equal to the standard Windows MDI interface)

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Bruno Desthuilliers

Stef Mientki a écrit :
I'm starting to get used to wxPython (coming from Delphi),
and it seems it can do almost everything I need.

Now one thing I'm missing is a good RichEditor.

Scintilla is for you, then. IIRC, there's a wxWidget widget embedding
it, and quite a few editors using it.

Stef Mientki

Bruno said:
Stef Mientki a écrit :

Scintilla is for you, then. IIRC, there's a wxWidget widget embedding
it, and quite a few editors using it.
AFAIK, Scintilla is a code editor.
What I need looks more like ms-word,
handling lists, tables, images, formulas.

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Stef Mientki

tool69 said:
Stef Mientki a écrit :

So you'll need the RichTextCtrl

http://www.wxpython.org/docs/api/wx.richtext.RichTextCtrl-class.html

See a sample in the demo under "Recent Additions".

Well it's better,
- it has lists
- it has images, but no image editing,
It doesn't have
- drag & drop
- tables,
- formula editing,
- screen capture,
- links
- embedded code
- CSS
- ....
so unfortunately it's not yet sufficient :-(

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Chris Mellon

Well it's better,
- it has lists
- it has images, but no image editing,
It doesn't have
- drag & drop
- tables,
- formula editing,
- screen capture,
- links
- embedded code
- CSS
- ....
so unfortunately it's not yet sufficient :-(

This goes far beyond the requirement for a rich text editor. You're
now talking about rich object integration, which is about 80% of a
full featured word processor. You won't find a cross platform
implementation that's suitable for use as a component in anything.

Delphi components are tightly tied to the Delphi runtime environment
and its' gui abstractions, so embedding it as is is will be a massive
hack (and require extensive C code) if its even possible.

However, any company who writes such a full featured control is likely
to package it as an ActiveX control so they can get the sales from the
VB guys, and you can embed ActiveX control in wxPython applications
(Windows only, of course).

markacy

Well it's better,
- it has lists
- it has images, but no image editing,
It doesn't have
- drag & drop
- tables,
- formula editing,
- screen capture,
- links
- embedded code
- CSS
- ....
so unfortunately it's not yet sufficient :-(

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Of course You can always write one, that's succicient for Your needs,
and make it available under GPL. ;-)

Cheers,

Marek

Stef Mientki

Chris said:
This goes far beyond the requirement for a rich text editor. You're
now talking about rich object integration, which is about 80% of a
full featured word processor.
The features I describe, are just 1% of the (in-)capabilities of ms-word,
so what do you call ms-word ;-)

You won't find a cross platform
implementation that's suitable for use as a component in anything.

Delphi components are tightly tied to the Delphi runtime environment
and its' gui abstractions, so embedding it as is is will be a massive
hack (and require extensive C code) if its even possible.
The editor I've in mind communicates only through messages, about 20 to the editor and 5 back,
so that doesn't sound too much.
However, any company who writes such a full featured control is likely
to package it as an ActiveX control so they can get the sales from the
VB guys, and you can embed ActiveX control in wxPython applications
(Windows only, of course).
Very good idea,
although I've never done it,
according to the decriptions,
it should be just one press on a button to create an ActiveX of the Editor-component.

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Stef Mientki

Of course You can always write one, that's succicient for Your needs,
and make it available under GPL. ;-)

Why not BSD ?
But I've to read all the licenses of the used components first ;-)

cheers,
Stef Mientki

Chris Mellon

The editor I've in mind communicates only through messages, about 20 to the editor and 5 back,
so that doesn't sound too much.

If it communicates entirely through messages, then it's likely not a
Delphi component at all, and instead a native (to Windows)
implementation and the Delphi component you've used is simply a
wrapper around the messaging API. If that's the case, then you can
probably use it directly in wxPython, using ctypes. Confirm this with
your component vendor by finding out if it's usable from C using the
Windows API.