running gui app on server desktop from asp.net

cs

Computer A is a server running IIS. User X logs in
computer A, by logs in I mean phyiscally goes to that
server and logs into a winxp user account. A has a website
on IIS, user Y on computer B visits that site. The site
needs to launch an application with a gui on computer A on
the desktop of user X. I am doing this with asp.net and
have already configured some of the "Allow Service to
Interact with Desktop" but maybe I am missing some.
Thanks.

Natty Gur

Hi,

A. "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" because this setting doesn’t
have any impact on aspnet_ep.exe that run actually asp.net web requests.
Aspnet_ep.exe default user probably doesn’t have rights to display GUI.

B. I think that you are picking the wrong solution for your problem.
It’s better to use Remoting to pop-up GUI application on the server. You
can create window service as remoting server that will receive request
and pop-up windows.

Natty Gur[MVP]
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

cs

B. I think that you are picking the wrong solution for
your problem.
It's better to use Remoting to pop-up GUI application on the server. You
can create window service as remoting server that will receive request
and pop-up windows.

you are right, remoting was our second alternative (the
more robust one), and thats what I am working on now.