Running java in/on windows...

JaJ

All,

Silly question, but is there an easy way to do the following:-

1) on windows 98 -> XP machines (all ms os)
2) run a java program at start up, but not show as a dos box on the
bottom toolbar

I know I can do the same via webstart, or using bat files but I don't
want a dos box on the bottom toolbar

Any ideas

Ta

Jaj

Andrew Thompson

1) on windows 98 -> XP machines (all ms os)

Is that a slur on my Win 95 based PC?
I know I can do the same via webstart, or using bat files but I don't
want a dos box on the bottom toolbar

....What do your user's want?

Andrea Sansottera

All,

Silly question, but is there an easy way to do the following:-

1) on windows 98 -> XP machines (all ms os)
2) run a java program at start up, but not show as a dos box on the
bottom toolbar

In the registry section where startup services are specified insert "javaw
-cp <whatYouNeed> -jar <yourAppplication>.jar"....

It may be something like
HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run
or something similar...

code_wrong

JaJ said:
All,

Silly question, but is there an easy way to do the following:-

1) on windows 98 -> XP machines (all ms os)
2) run a java program at start up, but not show as a dos box on the
bottom toolbar

I know I can do the same via webstart, or using bat files but I don't
want a dos box on the bottom toolbar

right click >> new shortcut
Enter the path to the java vm
eg> %windir%\system32\javaw.exe or C:\windows\system32\javaw.exe
click next and name your shortcut
Then right click on the new shortcut >> properties
Edit the target field to this:
%windir%\system32\javaw.exe -cp "path to directory containing main class"
MainClass

place your shortcut in the startup folder

HTH
cw

code_wrong

code_wrong said:
right click >> new shortcut
Enter the path to the java vm
eg> %windir%\system32\javaw.exe or C:\windows\system32\javaw.exe
click next and name your shortcut

Then right click on the new shortcut >> properties
Edit the target field to this:
%windir%\system32\javaw.exe -cp "path to directory containing main class"
MainClass

damn that line wrap
%windir%\system32\javaw.exe -cp "path" ClassContainingMain
ClassContainingMain is the name of the class containing main without
the .class extension.
The path is indeed contained in speech marks

clearer?
cw

Roedy Green

Silly question, but is there an easy way to do the following:-

1) on windows 98 -> XP machines (all ms os)
2) run a java program at start up, but not show as a dos box on the
bottom toolbar

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html
using Javaw.exe instead of java.exe will suppress the console.

To run a program at startup, you create a bat file to launch it and
put in the the startup folder. To create the bat file see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html

JaJ

All,

Silly question, but is there an easy way to do the following:-

1) on windows 98 -> XP machines (all ms os)
2) run a java program at start up, but not show as a dos box on the
bottom toolbar

I know I can do the same via webstart, or using bat files but I don't
want a dos box on the bottom toolbar

Any ideas

Ta

Jaj

All,

Thxs for your help and advice.

The reason for 98-> was because the company only uses 98 onwards
(mainly nt and xp).

The reason for not wanting the dos box was 'cause a manager went "hey
can we not have the dos box up please"....

Once again thanks to all for your time/help.

Jaj