Serial Port programming

Jim Hatfield

I've searched Google for this and the results didn't look
too promising, so this post is really to see if anything
has changed very recently.

Is it yet possible to write a straight Java app, with no
external addons, which can read and write to serial ports,
and which will run on Windows and Linux or FreeBSD?

jim

Michael Borgwardt

Jim said:
I've searched Google for this and the results didn't look
too promising, so this post is really to see if anything
has changed very recently.

Is it yet possible to write a straight Java app, with no
external addons, which can read and write to serial ports,
and which will run on Windows and Linux or FreeBSD?

No.

Dale King

Hello, Michael Borgwardt !
You said:

But there are standard add-ons to do it. Sun produced the
JavaComm API, which was meant to be the standard API foraccessing
serial or parallel ports. However they botched several things
about it and are not actively supporting it. They have done
nothing with it since before Java 1.2 which was about 5 years
ago. And they only provided implementations for Windoze and
Solaris.

I suggest you use RXTX (www.rxtx.org). It is open source and has
implementations for more platforms. It can support the JavaComm
API, but I would not bother with that hassle, since Sun doesn't
even care enough to support it.