    jim
    --
    Jim Hatfield
    Jim Hatfield, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Jim Hatfield wrote:
    > I've searched Google for this and the results didn't look
    > too promising, so this post is really to see if anything
    > has changed very recently.
    >
    > Is it yet possible to write a straight Java app, with no
    > external addons, which can read and write to serial ports,
    > and which will run on Windows and Linux or FreeBSD?

    No.
    Michael Borgwardt, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Jim Hatfield

    Roedy Green Guest

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/serialport.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Jim Hatfield

    Dale King Guest

    Hello, Michael Borgwardt !
    You wrote:

    > Jim Hatfield wrote:
    > > I've searched Google for this and the results didn't look
    > > too promising, so this post is really to see if anything
    > > has changed very recently.
    > >
    > > Is it yet possible to write a straight Java app, with no
    > > external addons, which can read and write to serial ports,
    > > and which will run on Windows and Linux or FreeBSD?

    > No.

    But there are standard add-ons to do it. Sun produced the
    JavaComm API, which was meant to be the standard API foraccessing
    serial or parallel ports. However they botched several things
    about it and are not actively supporting it. They have done
    nothing with it since before Java 1.2 which was about 5 years
    ago. And they only provided implementations for Windoze and
    Solaris.

    I suggest you use RXTX (www.rxtx.org). It is open source and has
    implementations for more platforms. It can support the JavaComm
    API, but I would not bother with that hassle, since Sun doesn't
    even care enough to support it.
    --
    Dale King
    My Blog: http://daleking.homedns.org/Blog