Serial port with Java

John Pickwick

Hi to all,

could you tell me how can I manage my serial port with Java ? I found some
examples about the javax.comm package but I can't find where I can get it
for free. Is this package still supported in recent Java releases ?

Thanx in advance,

John

Anthony Gelibert

Hi to all,

could you tell me how can I manage my serial port with Java ? I found some
examples about the javax.comm package but I can't find where I can get it
for free. Is this package still supported in recent Java releases ?

Thanx in advance,

John

Hello,
javax.comm is deprecated.
I advise you rxtx : http://www.rxtx.org/
It's a good library that support Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.

Knute Johnson

John said:
Hi to all,

could you tell me how can I manage my serial port with Java ? I found some
examples about the javax.comm package but I can't find where I can get it
for free. Is this package still supported in recent Java releases ?

Thanx in advance,

John

The Java Comm API is no longer supported by Sun for Windows. I have no
good answer as to why. It does however still work just fine with
Windows XP and up to 1.6. I have not tried it on Vista but from what I
hear, nothing works with Vista. It was still available on Sun's website
until this spring but is gone now. If you would like a copy, email me
and I will send you one. The Sun API is available for Linux and Solaris.

I tried to convert my existing software to use RXTX but under Windows,
RXTX has some serious bugs and was not usable.

Anthony Gelibert

The Java Comm API is no longer supported by Sun for Windows. I have no
good answer as to why. It does however still work just fine with
Windows XP and up to 1.6. I have not tried it on Vista but from what I
hear, nothing works with Vista. It was still available on Sun's
website until this spring but is gone now. If you would like a copy,
email me and I will send you one. The Sun API is available for Linux
and Solaris.

I tried to convert my existing software to use RXTX but under Windows,
RXTX has some serious bugs and was not usable.
The windows version is buggy but with some "technics" you can use it.
It depends of the bugs

Knute Johnson

Anthony said:
The windows version is buggy but with some "technics" you can use it.
It depends of the bugs

Yes. It won't do blocking I/O or deal correctly with timeouts. It was
unusable for me. Whereas the JavaComm API works fine, on XP at least.

Anthony Gelibert

Yes. It won't do blocking I/O or deal correctly with timeouts. It was
unusable for me. Whereas the JavaComm API works fine, on XP at least.
Yes, it's the trivial problem. It's a problem of the timer that deal
with timeouts. The problem has a solution that could be found on their
website or forums.

Knute Johnson

Anthony said:
Yes, it's the trivial problem. It's a problem of the timer that deal
with timeouts. The problem has a solution that could be found on their
website or forums.

They've had the problems for two years and still haven't fixed it. The
Sun software just works.

Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
libraries to manage serial port with java

Hi, look at www.giovynet.com you will find free java libraries to manage serial port ...

John Pickwick said:
Hi to all,

could you tell me how can I manage my serial port with Java ? I found some
examples about the javax.comm package but I can't find where I can get it
for free. Is this package still supported in recent Java releases ?

Thanx in advance,

John

Joined
Apr 18, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
"Windows Java Serial Com Port Driver"

I'm using "Windows Java Serial Com Port Driver" at
engidea.com/blog/informatica/winjcom/winjcom.html
and it works much better than rxtx.
-Stosh