Server Application Unavailable aspnet_wp (in W2000 Domain Controller)

Angel Faus

Hi,

Our ASP.net application has stopped working.

We are getting a "Server Application Unavailable" error, the message
in the Event Log says it's due to wrong permissions on the .NET
Framework files. (

We've tried the following solutions:

- I've expanded the ACLs of the Microsoft.NET directory so as to make
sure the user has permissions. As a limit test, I have provided Total
Control to Everyone (no luck).

- I've rebuild the IIS mapping as explained in Q306005. No luck.

- I've monitored the filesystem usage with FileMon. There is no record
of any access to any file in the Microsoft.NET directory, except for
the access to read and execute aspnet_wp.exe.

- I've changed the user options in machine.config to a new created
user. This has no effect. Even setting the username to a unexistent
user or deleting the whole machine.config file doesn't change the
error description in Event Log. Even more, filemon says that the
machine.config is not being read (!).

I am clueless about what further actions can be done. Apparently the
error is generated _before_ aspnet_wp.exe reads machine.config (but
after it's executed)

The Event Log description could be more verbose (like explaining which
file/action caused the problem...)

The Computer is a Domain Controller but the symptons don't match
Q315158.

Any help would be very appreciated,

-angel

John Soulis [MSFT]

Hello Angel,
Please check this article. If it does not solve your issue, please provide
the full description of the issue.
824308 BUG: IWAM Account Is Not Granted the Impersonate Privilege for
ASP.NET
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824308

Thank you,
John Soulis