Server Application Unavailable

Aryan

Hi Everybody,
I am facing "Server Application Unavailable" problem with .NET
Framework 2.0

Earlier Framework was working fine, but one fine day it stopped working

for particular application. Where as other application running under
framework 2.0 is working fine.

Giving you all error discription generated by my application(i am using

microsoft.exception block) for exception logging in event viewer.

"aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the

installation directory allow access to the configured account. "

Please help me out.. how can this particular application is not running
where as other applications are fine.

Thanks in advance.

Manoj Singh.

Juan T. Llibre

To reset/assign the ACL permissions for the ASP.NET service account,
run the following command from the .Net Framework 2.0's directory :

aspnet_regiis -ga MachineName\AccountName

where MachineName\AccountName stands for the account ASP.NET is running as.

If it's a box running Windows 2003 Server, the correct account
( unless someone has fiddled with impersonation ) is :

"NT Authority\Network Service"

This command only works for the .Net Framework 2.0.
It does *not* work for the .Net Framework 1.1.

If you don't know which account ASP.NET is running as, copy this script and run it:

identity.aspx :
=========
<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<%@ Import NameSpace = System.Security.Principal %>
<script runat="server">
Sub Page_Load()
Dim tmp As String = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
Label1.Text = tmp
End Sub
</script>
<head>
<title>WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:Label ID="Label1" Runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
</form>
======

The account reported by the script is the one which needs permissions.

If you have problems and want to reset the permissions manually, use the directory checklist at :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/secnetht01.asp

The directories are listed under the heading "Required NTFS Permissions".
The article says it's for ASP.NET 1.1, but the required directories are the same for 2.0.

Also, if you installed Windows to anywhere but c:\winnt ,
you should use *that* installation directory as the Windows root, of course.

The .Net Framework directory for 2.0 is :
Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727

Finally, if the box is running on Windows 2003 Server, make sure that the application
is not running in the same Application Pool along with 1.1 Applications.

If it is, make sure the app runs in an Application pool where only 2.0 apps run.

Aryan

Hi Juan,
Thanks for the help, i am worried about how come other web
applications are running fine where as this particular application has
started facing problem all of sudden. When i am creating new web
applicaiton using "file system", it creates new application nicely and
works proper, where as when i try to run this application it starts
giving problem. I did delete this particular application and created
again but the same problem. I have installed and unstalled framework
and studio many times because of this. but nothing is working out.

Why this particular application pool si getting disturbed when i run
through brower, as i have only "2.0" framework installed on my macine.

Still facing the same problem...

Juan T. Llibre

Aryan,

which of the possible fixes which I suggested to you did you try to implement ?

Did you

1. reset/assign the ACL permissions for the ASP.NET service account ?
2. run the script I posted for you ?
3. confirm whether the account reported by the script has the
correct permissions to the directories which ASP.NET needs permission to?
4. confirm that the directories in the checklist I sent you have the correct permissions ?

???

Aryan

Hi Juan,
I tried all those suggestion which you had suggeted, but
unfortunatily none of them worked for me. Please tell me what to do
now. Do i need to format my machine for this?? I am still confussed
about, why that particular application is having problem???

Thanks & Regards,
Manoj Singh.

Guest

I'm having the same difficulties, and I can't run that script because I can't
get asp.net to run... that's the whole problem to begin with.

in the processModel section of the machine.config it's set to
autoConfig="true", which I suspect is what we're supposed to do.

I followed all of the ACL assignments from the KB articles, and since I'm
not 100% sure which account applies here, I did it for ASPNET, IUSR_ and
IWAM_...

I also did the same with the aspnet_regiis -ga.

This host has 1.1 framework on it as well, but the application I'm trying to
run is a separate website. I have tried all three modes, low, pooled, and
isolated, each with the same effect.

Anyone know how to run 2.0 on an IIS5 host? I seem to be getting links to
the same KB articles from everyone, and I've been over that three times...

Guest

Hello,
I don't know if this would be helpful to you but I had the same error
message and this is how I solved it.

I'm on win server 2003 IIS 6

I unloaded ASP.Net and .Net 2.0 redistributable. Basically bringing myself
back to the beginning.

I then reloaded ASP.Net and made sure default version 1.1.4 was working with
a small sample app.

Then I re-loaded .Net 2.0 redistributable. I ran aspnet_regiis -i from 2.0
framework folder to make sure I was good. Then I made sure ASPNet had proper
access. (Search on kb article 811320).

After this I still had one problem that we saw before in my shop where
ASPNet has a problem seeing stdole.dll. For that I just had to install the
..Net 2.0 SDK which registers a certain .dll and fixes that.

So now I'm good for now. I think for me it was just a proper sequence of
the same steps before but not in this sequence and I had no success. It was
only when I did a complete reinstall from the beginning that things started
working. I'm sure the guru's out here probably know more why I got it to
work this way. I'm just content with it working.

Phillip