server application unavailable

Francesco Spegni

hallo,

i'm going to ask a solution for a "classic" problem. actually i read a
lot about possible solutions to it but i was not able to solve it.

the "patient" is:
- a test server where i have "limited" power (alias, i cannot re-
install everything i want :-/)
- windows 2000 sp 4 w/ iis 5.0
- .net frameworks installed: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
- a bunch of *working* webapplications associated w/ framework 1.1
- a web application which does not work associated w/ framework 2.0 (i
checked the associations with the ASPNETVersionSwitcher tool)

symptoms:
- when i load the not-working application via browser, i get the red
error message "Server Application Unavailable"
- i checked the Event Viewer, here is what it says:
1. aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2620) stopped unexpectedly.
2. Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity
does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error:
0x80004005 Unspecified error

what i did:
- i read these two articles telling how to set the permission for
<machinename>\ASPNET account:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=135969&SiteID=1
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;811320&x=9&y=9

still, after having set the permissions as the articles say, the
problem still remains.

do you have any other suggestions?

francesco

PS
all the guides i read say that after installing .net framework v2.0 it
should appear a tab titled "ASP.NET" in the iis web site property
page... that does not happen to me. is that normal?

George Ter-Saakov

Last time I had error like that ASP.NET did not have any permissions (I
think all it need is read) to the BIN folder of my application

George.

Francesco Spegni

thanks, but the user (<machine_name>/ASPNET) has access to the bin
directory :-/

Guest

I think you answered your own question. the ASPNET process cannot read the
GAC. So you need to find out how to grant the proper permissions.
Sounds like you've got a messed up installation. Also, make sure your 2.0
app(s) are running under their OWN application pool.
Peter

Francesco Spegni

I think you answered your own question. the ASPNET process cannot read the
GAC. So you need to find out how to grant the proper permissions.
Sounds like you've got a messed up installation. Also, make sure your 2.0
app(s) are running under their OWN application pool.
Peter

uhm,

i'm not an expert in iis but i think that application pools are
configurable for iis 6 or successive ones, while i'm using iis 5. am i
wrong? if i'm wrong, could you point me to some documentation about
that?

moreover: which files is the GAC made of, actually? just the ones in
%windir%\assembly? i'm asking you this because i've already checked
they are readable by ASPNET user.

thanks

francesco