Server Application Unavailable

WRH

Hello
I'm using MS Visual Web Dev 2005 Express and did the tutorial
to make a simple web site with C# code behind. Works fine
with the ASP.NET development server that runs with Web Dev.
When I move the files to an IIS server however I consistently
get a "Server Application Unavailable" error 500.
I tried many different IIS settings etc but cannot resolve
the problem.
Setup is WinXP, .NET 2.0, pc is AMD AthlonX2

WRH

Thanks for your response. Making default.aspx a default content page
solved one problem I had to get around by referencing it in an index.htm
file.
However, the basic problem remains...heres the full text of what
the browser sees...
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur

And heres a portion of the IIS log file...

#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.1
#Version: 1.0
#Date: 2007-01-29 18:30:41
#Fields: time c-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem sc-status
18:30:41 192.168.0.102 GET /default.aspx 500
18:32:22 127.0.0.1 GET /default.aspx 500
18:35:00 127.0.0.1 GET /default.aspx 500

The code was generated by following the tutorial in Web Dev Express.

I'm new to this so maybe I'm missing something fundamental...
Can I assume that if I build a web site with web dev I can
then move the files to an IIS server (Inetpub/wwwroot) running
on XP and have them run the same as on the ASP .NET
development server that starts up with Web Dev?