Service Unavailable error for IIS application pool

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by SpamAndEggs, May 10, 2006.

  1. SpamAndEggs

    SpamAndEggs Guest

    I have successfully used a domain account to serve as the identify for a
    "Windows Authentication Only" ASP.Net web application on one Windows 20003
    server, but cannot get it to work on another Windows 2003 server. The error
    on the second server is "Service Unavailable".

    If I switch the custom pool to use the default Network Service authority and
    grant that authority access to the web site root folder via ACLs, everything
    works. If I switch it to use the custom account, any attempt to access the
    web site - even a static HTML page - produces "Service Unavailable". The
    custom account is not locked, the password in the custom pool is correct, the
    aspnet_regiis /ag command was used to grant access to the metabase and the
    ACLs on the web site's root folder was set for read-only rights. The
    application uses the custom pool and has rights to read, run scripts and run
    executables. W3SVC raises events 1057 (warning), 1059 (error) and 1021
    (warning) and the custom pool is stopped.

    I have gone through the security policies on both machines using a comparer,
    and there are no additional restrictions on the server that the error occurs
    on. I restart the pool and web site prior to each test.

    I have looked on Google and MSDN KB and Premier support KB and cannot find
    anything that fixes the problem.

    I am stuck. How can I diagnose this problem?
    SpamAndEggs, May 10, 2006

  2. You may temporarily add the domain account to local administrator group and
    then reboot your server, Will this fix the problem? If so, it should be
    still a permission issue.

    Regards,

    Luke Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support