Service unavailable error

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by maansi.creations@gmail.com, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Service unavailable error comes randomly while accessing our website
    and gets alright in matter of seconds....Could some one tell the
    possible reasons for these to happen: i got a earlier suggestion to our
    error as follows:

    If the error continues, it means that your website is exceeding the
    resource thresholds we set in IIS. Your website has been allocated 20%
    CPU and 800 MB of virtual memory. We set the limits to prevent any one
    site from impacting server performance. IIS will restart your
    application pool if these limits are exceeded. Your website will
    display the "Service Unavailable" error while it is restarted.

    If you find that this is happening, you will want to audit your scripts
    to reduce resource usage.

    If the error seems to happen randomly during the day and cannot be
    linked to one or more specific scripts, then you are probably exceeding
    our virtual memory limit. You can try to reduce memory by reducing
    your per-session memory demands (session variables, objects, etc.)
    and/or by reducing your total sessions (for example, by decreasing your
    session timeout).

    If the error is triggered by a particular script, then you will want to
    first audit the script for high CPU usage. In particular, make sure
    that the script doesn't have any infinite loop conditions.

    -------------------------------
    The points mentioned above was suggested earlier....But How to rectify
    this error or atleast the process to find out which of the script pages
    have errors which eat lot virtual memory.

    We are runing a site with asp and database as sql...any help on this
    account..

    Mansi

    , Oct 24, 2006

  2. Mike Brind Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Service unavailable error comes randomly while accessing our website
    > and gets alright in matter of seconds....Could some one tell the
    > possible reasons for these to happen: i got a earlier suggestion to our
    > error as follows:

    > If the error continues, it means that your website is exceeding the
    > resource thresholds we set in IIS. Your website has been allocated 20%
    > CPU and 800 MB of virtual memory. We set the limits to prevent any one
    > site from impacting server performance. IIS will restart your
    > application pool if these limits are exceeded. Your website will
    > display the "Service Unavailable" error while it is restarted.
    >
    > If you find that this is happening, you will want to audit your scripts
    > to reduce resource usage.
    >
    > If the error seems to happen randomly during the day and cannot be
    > linked to one or more specific scripts, then you are probably exceeding
    > our virtual memory limit. You can try to reduce memory by reducing
    > your per-session memory demands (session variables, objects, etc.)
    > and/or by reducing your total sessions (for example, by decreasing your
    > session timeout).
    >
    > If the error is triggered by a particular script, then you will want to
    > first audit the script for high CPU usage. In particular, make sure
    > that the script doesn't have any infinite loop conditions.
    >
    > -------------------------------
    > The points mentioned above was suggested earlier....But How to rectify
    > this error or atleast the process to find out which of the script pages
    > have errors which eat lot virtual memory.
    >
    > We are runing a site with asp and database as sql...any help on this
    > account..

    Look at all the instances on your pages where you have
    Server.CreateObject("<someprogid>"). Are you always creating objects late
    and (explicitly) closing them early? Are you putting COM objects in session
    or application variables? Have you got a load of session variables that
    would be better stored in a db? Have you got loads of string concatenation
    going on?

    Here's some more stuff to consider:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technologies/iis/tips/asptips.mspx

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Oct 24, 2006

  3. I had this issue a lot in the past.
    The most common reasons are:
    1. You are opening connections or recordsets to the database but not
    clossing them
    2. Running long loops, for example if you want to lookup for a record
    in the database you could either
    a. Run a loop through all the records to find the one you want,
    or
    b. Open a SQL Statement that only gets the record for you.
    so if you are using the way "a" then this could cause the problem

    to be able to track the error, i would suggest that you run part by
    part of the page that is mainly causing the error
    and a little tip: you might want to keep an eye on the pages that take
    a long time to load according to other pages.

    Hope this helps

    Best Regards
    Firas S Assaad

    Firas S Assaad, Oct 24, 2006