Seting up Ruby on XP (HELL)p

Leevi Graham

Hi all this is my first message to this list...

I ma having heaps of troubles setting up ruby and rails on my windoes XP
pro machine.. I have tried the one click installer which installed ruby
no worries...
The problem i am having is installing rails.. Currently after installing
rails i type into the command line:

|gem install rails --remote

which returns the error:

'gem' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

if i navigate to %/ruby/bin and type ||gem install rails --remote rails
will install... however i the have to create and run every application
form the ruby/bin directory. I mamanged to set up ruby and ruby on rails
on another box which creates a new rails app where ever i call "rails
newAppFolder", so i know its possible

any ideas...

Please help

Leevi Graham

Stephan Kämper

Hi,

Leevi said:
The problem i am having is installing rails.. Currently after installing
rails i type into the command line:

|gem install rails --remote

which returns the error:

'gem' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

if i navigate to %/ruby/bin and type ||gem install rails --remote rails
will install... however i the have to create and run every application
form the ruby/bin directory. I mamanged to set up ruby and ruby on rails
on another box which creates a new rails app where ever i call "rails
newAppFolder", so i know its possible

any ideas...

That sounds as if your PATH environment variable isn't set properly.

At a command line try

echo %PATH%

or perhaps with a nicer output and using Ruby:

ruby -e 'puts ENV["PATH"].split( ";" )'

"<wherever_you_installed_your_ruby>\ruby\bin" should be in that list, I
think.

Hope that helps

Happy rubying

Stephan