Setting up an ASP.NET 2.0 application in a subfolder

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jimi, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Jimi

    Jimi Guest

    Hi all, we are deploying a test ASP.NET 2.0 website and as such our test url
    looks something like

    http://202.45.201.25/testfolder

    Now if I go to the above url and view my default page

    http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/default.aspx

    I get the old

    ==========

    Parser Error

    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Default'.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Default.master"
    AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default"
    Title="Untitled Page" %>
    Line 2:
    Line 3: <%@ Register Src="UserControls/AdminNav.ascx" TagName="AdminNav"
    TagPrefix="uc1" %>

    ==========

    As I believe that the ASP.NET engine is looking for the bin files in the
    root folder

    e.g.

    http://202.45.201.25/bin

    instead of

    http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin

    in the 1.1 framework I would have simply copied the necessary dll out of the
    BIN folder under http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin and placed it in the
    bin folder under http://202.45.201.25/bin

    How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??

    TIA
    Mark
    Jimi, Apr 11, 2006

  2. re:
    > How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??

    The same way you do it in ASP.NET 1.1 :

    You create an IIS application which points to testfolder.
    Then, you'll be able to place your testfolder dll's in testfolder/bin

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Hi Jimi
    If you want a project that is similar to Asp.net 1.1 download this add on
    for vs2005.
    Using this you can easily migrate your web application from previous version
    and all the code behind is compiled into a single assembly
    The link is
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wap/

    If you don;t want this try using publising wizard inside vs2005 to deploy
    your project.

    Thanks
    Shailesh

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hhaWxlc2ggSmFubnU=?=, Apr 11, 2006
  4. I should add a bit to this reply.

    What I wrote reflects the idea that, in ASP.NET 2.0, you can deploy assemblies
    to the /bin directory just like you can with the 1.1 .Net Framework/ASP.NET 1.1.

    To do that, you just compile, from the command-line,
    your dll's and place them in the /bin directory.

    What might be confusing is that you are really referring
    to the way VS 2003 and VS 2005 deploy their websites.

    VS 2003 builds its websites as a single dll which it places in the /bin directory.
    VS 2005 builds its websites as many dll's, with random names.

    As Shailesh points out, the WAP can compile your websites created
    with VS 2005 using the same compilation model as VS 2003.

    If you decide to go that way, make sure you read Scott Guthrie's tutoriqals :
    http://webproject.scottgu.com/

    Also, don't forget to visit the WAP forum :
    http://forums.asp.net/1019/showforum.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Jimi

    Jimi Guest

    Thanks for your help people :) I got it working in the end

    Thanks again
    Mark

    Jimi, Apr 12, 2006