Setting up Ruby libraries

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Joe Van Dyk, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Joe Van Dyk

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    In my group, we typically set up software dependencies like this:

    /libraries
    /gtk
    /2.4.11
    /rhel3
    /usr/
    /bin/
    /share
    /lib
    /irix
    # etc
    /gcc
    /3.3.1
    /bin
    #etc

    So, we have libraries and utilities that we depend on installed to a
    separate directory, one directory for each different version and
    architecture. How can we do the same with Ruby and its libraries?
    I'd like to see something like:

    /ruby
    /1.8.4
    /rhel3
    # ruby stuff
    /1.8.5
    /rhel3
    /irix
    # ruby stuff

    /ruby-gnome2
    /0.14.1
    /rhel3
    /irix
    /0.15.1
    etc

    /rmagick
    /1.0
    /2.0

    So, each different Ruby library or gem would be installed to a
    different folder. Is that possible? By default, all the Ruby
    libraries and gems are installed inside the Ruby directory. And I
    think I'd prefer to keep them separate.

    Any advice?

    Thanks,
    Joe

    Joe Van Dyk, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Joe Van Dyk

    Guest

    Joe Van Dyk wrote:

    > Simpler question:
    >
    > Ruby is installed in /foo. I want to install a Ruby library to /goo,
    > and another Ruby library to /bar. How straight forward is that to set
    > up? What flags to I need to give to each libraries setup.rb or
    > exec_conf.rb?

    sudo ruby setup.rb install --prefix="foo"

    You'll either need to symlink into the typical paths or add to the
    $LOAD_PATH.

    BTW, gems basically does this already, albiet foo-1.0.0/, Not usre
    about architecture though.

    Also, I have a project that relates to this, so I'm wonder what you
    working on?

    T.

    , Jul 13, 2006