Setup ASPNET account

James McGivney

I am using chapter 9 from "ASP.NET programming with C#"
by Duthie of Microsoft Press.
I have VS.net running on WindowsXP pro, I installed IIS
and the net framework. I believe I have activated MSDE
as I display an icon in the lower right that
says "Running \\JIM - MSSQLServer". The icon has a green
arrow.
I am trying to setup an ASPNET account.
As instructed, at the command prompt I enter:
oSql -S(local)\VSdotNET -E
I get the following message:
[DBMSLPCN]SQLServer does not exist or access denied
[DBMSLPCN]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
Please advise.
Thanks,
Jim

MSFT

HiJames,

First you need to make sure the account you currently log on is exactly the
same account you install the MSDE, and this account is a local
administrator account on the computer.

Secondly, you may double click the icon in the lower right , a form will be
displayed, You may check the server name in the box, to see if it is
"JIM\VSdotNET". If so, you also try following command in command prompt
window:

oSql -SJIM\VSdotNET -E

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

James McGivney

Luke:
I logon to Windows XP pro with my account, this is the
account that was in use when I installed MSDE. This is
an Administrator account.
I click the icon in the lower right of the screen, in the
form that appears JIM is the name of the server.
From the command prompt I run oSql -SJIM\VSdotNET -E
The return is:
[DBMSLPCN]SQLServer does not exist or access denied
[DBMSLPCN]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).

Please advise.
Thanks,
Jim

MSFT

Hi Jim,

Is the Server name "JIM", not "JIM/VSdotNET"? If so, you may try:

oSql -SJIM -E

or

oSql -S(local) -E

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

James McGivney

Luke:
Thank you very much for your excellent help and support.
Using the name JIM worked without problem.
In installing MSDE I somehow must have entered JIM in
place of JIM\VSdontNET. I hope this will not cause me
any problems down the road.
The whole purpose of this exercise was to access
the "pubs" database in a sample program.
I am not sure I understand the oSql commands I used. Do
I need to setup a new account through oSql each time I
change a database ?
Thanks again for your help.
Jim

MSFT

Hi JIm,

You dont' need to create a new account when you change the database. By
default, MSDE will use your current windows account as an administrator
account in all databases.