Shared web host good citizenship question

Carl Banks

Not specifically Python related but thought I'd ask.

If you have a low-bandwidth website running on a shared web hosting
service as a WSGI server (or FastCGI, or any other interface with its
own process), is it considered a responsible thing for the process to
exit on its own after a period of non-activity, or is that something
best left for the host to manage?

I'd guess that modern web hosts would prefer that processes stay
running, even if they go long periods without use, rather than having
to periodically restart processes.

Carl Banks

Gnarlodious

I would say like this: If your processes are serving up straight
pages, let them timeout after a while. If your processes are handling
eCommerce or persistent data, keep the connection open as long as
possible.

-- Gnarlie