Simultaneous AJAX calls with Prototype?

cmercier

Hi everyone!

I am using the Prototype library and ran into a serious limitation. I
need to make many concurrent AJAX calls to the server, but Prototype is
queueing them instead. Obviously, this is slowing my web application a
lot.

Is it a Javascript or Prototype limitation? If Prototype is in cause,
is there a work around? I'd rather keep Prototype since I also use
script.aculo.us.

Thank you!

Carl

Matt Kruse

I am using the Prototype library and ran into a serious limitation. I
need to make many concurrent AJAX calls to the server, but Prototype
is queueing them instead. Obviously, this is slowing my web
application a lot.
Is it a Javascript or Prototype limitation?

Depends. It could be an HTTP limitation. Clients are only allowed 2
connections to a server at a time using HTTP/1.1 (afaik). So your browser
may be queuing many requests.

I don't know how prototype does ajax, but you can also check out my lib at
http://www.AjaxToolbox.com/ which I know for sure does not queue up
requests.

If prototype doesn't have a support forum, it needs one. You should suggest
it to the author. Too many questions end up here.

Michael Winter

Clients are only allowed 2 connections to a server at a time using
HTTP/1.1 (afaik).

Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number
of simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given
server. A single-user client SHOULD NOT maintain more than 2
connections with any server or proxy.

-- RFC 2616, 8.1.4 Practical Considerations

The phrases 'SHOULD' and 'SHOULD NOT' being very strong recommendations
as far as the RFC is concerned.

I don't think that there are limits to non-persistent connections, but
Firefox only allows eight per server by default.

[snip]

Mike