Site without scroll bars

Tim w

Disable JavaScript and have scroll bars. There's about a quarter-megabyte
of the stuff on that page, including the oft-misused "jQuery." It appears

If you can't code your own, you borrow stuff. Frequently, you borrow crap.

It didn't look to me like it was thrown together by an amateur, but WP
would sort of explain it, because it enables designers with little
knowledge of code to put together a complex site but if there's a
problem they don't know how to fix it.

As a side question: in this case I can see in the html references to a
WP plugin. Sometimes I can put /admin on the end of the root url to look
at the login. Is there any other, more reliable way of telling if a site
is using a CMS and what the CMS is?

David Postill

| On 31/05/2014 01:02, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
| > Tim w wrote:
| >
| >> This is strange. This site seems to have no scroll bars despite having
| >> massive great long pages:
| >> http://lareviewofbooks.org

<snip>

| As a side question: in this case I can see in the html references to a
| WP plugin. Sometimes I can put /admin on the end of the root url to look
| at the login. Is there any other, more reliable way of telling if a site
| is using a CMS and what the CMS is?

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://lareviewofbooks.org
gives lots of useful information.

As an example the report states "WordPress Self-Hosted" in the Site
Technology section.

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
Wow! Keyboard ONLY! Up and down arrow is the only thing that works.

Not on my keyboard (good buttons, along with Page Down, which are
useful normally for such things).

Disabling CSS gets the scrollbars (yes, I know, JS instead (as B
noted- probably the better option) or as well. When you disable the
CSS, you can see some articles fine. But much else is wrong then...

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
Page Up/Page Down work here.The only other technique

Not here. The only other technique not mentioned is make the text size
smaller (get a magnifying glass for this one) to get more of the page
to show... <g>

Ray_Net

Seems to be fixed now. Must have just been broken.

Tim w

Sure ? I have a doubt :)
With SeaMonkey and FireFox we cannot navigate vertically with a vertical scroll bar,
but we can do it with the up/down key or page Up/Down
With IE11.0 NO WAY for vertically nagivation - Completely unusuable :)

Gloops

Tim w wrote, on 30th May 2014 22:58 UTC + 2 :
This is strange. This site seems to have no scroll bars despite having
massive great long pages:
http://lareviewofbooks.org

Surely it will never catch on. Why would you do such a thing?

Tim W

Hello,

I do not observe that. Do you still have that problem ?

I noticed something similar with my webmail interface with Smartermail.
I accessed it from two machines with Firefox, one with Windows XP Home
SP3, the other one with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

On the machine with Windows I had never any problem, on the machine with
Ubuntu, the list of messages has no vertical scrollbar, so I can only
access the five first messages or so.

A second theme changed nothing, but installing a third theme solved the
problem.

None of those themes have any problem with the page you mention, this
being said.

Gloops

Gloops wrote, on 14th June 2014 15:47 UTC + 2 :
I do not observe that. Do you still have that problem ?

Did not read all the thread ;)

But sometimes what I said can help.