slightly off-topic: when will Microsoft host a Silverlight newsgroup?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ken Fine, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. Ken Fine

    Ken Fine Guest

    Ken Fine, Jun 22, 2008

  2. re:
    !> When does Silverlight get a first-class newsgroup?

    Probably, never.

    I suspect that Microsoft is slowly transitioning from nntp to http,
    i.e., from newsgroup support to support via web forums.

    Apparently, no newsgroups are being created for new products any more.

    Most MVPs have complained to Microsoft about that, suggesting that,
    if MS wants to have web forums that's fine, but that nntp newsgroups
    need not be phased out but, instead, an nntp front-end could be
    created to access the forums datastore, like forums.asp.net does,
    so that those who prefer nntp to access a support datastore not be
    left out of the mix.

    Microsoft has, consistently, denied that nntp is being phased out,
    but the signals are quite clear, given that newsgroups for new products,
    even ones as important as Silverlight, are not being created.

    Even if "slightly off-topic", as you put it in the subject :
    how do your guys (the "regular" end-users here ) feel about that ?

    Which do you prefer : web forums or nntp newsgroups ?

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Ken Fine

    Rory Becker Guest

    Hello Juan,

    > Even if "slightly off-topic", as you put it in the subject : how do
    > your guys (the "regular" end-users here ) feel about that ?
    >
    > Which do you prefer : web forums or nntp newsgroups ?

    nntp FTW

    I love having a reader which I can use to compose my replies in . I Love
    the choice of reader that is available
    While I understand the usefulness of "marking as an answer" and such like
    I really don't think the browser can ever be as eficient for this purpose
    for me.

    --
    Ror
    Rory Becker, Jun 22, 2008
  4. Hi KF,

    Yes, as you've found, so far for SivlerLight, most of the community support
    effort is put in the silverlight forum at

    http://silverlight.net/forums

    And there hasn't opened dedicated silverlight newsgroup(managed or
    unmanaged ones). As Juan has mentioned, in a long term view, we're moving
    more resource and more effort to the web based forums since they'll be the
    mainstream in the future Microsoft development or non-developmente
    community. Also, more MSFT dev or support engineers will participate in the
    forums too.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead