so, who's writing a dedicated ruby ide?

Martin DeMello

The recent thread on newbie-friendliness and a "ruby in a box" IDE
made me wonder what the dedicated ruby IDEs or text editors with IDE
features out there were (as opposed to ruby plugins for larger,
general-purpose IDEs and editors). So far, the active projects I've
seen are

* Arcadia [http://arcadia.rubyforge.org/]
* Redcar [http://redcareditor.com/]

Others?

martin

Sebastian Bachmann

RubyMine from JetBrains

andrew mcelroy

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Sebastian Bachmann <
RubyMine from JetBrains

I will have in released in the next week or so the beginnings of Try Ruby
offline.
It isn't geared towards professionals, but rather beginners.
The idea is to put a repl + embedded ruby 1.9.2 interpreter into a simple to
run executable for windows mac and linux.

I'll make an announcement about it when I can show the code and show
something that runs. :)

Andrew McElroy
http://TryRuby.org

Josh Cheek

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Sebastian Bachmann <

I will have in released in the next week or so the beginnings of Try Ruby
offline.
It isn't geared towards professionals, but rather beginners.
The idea is to put a repl + embedded ruby 1.9.2 interpreter into a simple
run executable for windows mac and linux.

I'll make an announcement about it when I can show the code and show
something that runs. :)

Andrew McElroy
http://TryRuby.org

Looking forward to it ^_^

Martin DeMello

I will have in released in the next week or so the beginnings of Try Ruby
offline.
It isn't geared towards professionals, but rather beginners.
The idea is to put a repl + embedded ruby 1.9.2 interpreter into a simple to
run executable for windows mac and linux.

I'll make an announcement about it when I can show the code and show
something that runs. :)

exciting news :) what ui toolkit are you basing it on?

martin

Vincent Manis

I will have in released in the next week or so the beginnings of Try = Ruby
offline.
It isn't geared towards professionals, but rather beginners.
The idea is to put a repl + embedded ruby 1.9.2 interpreter into a = simple to
run executable for windows mac and linux.
This is a very worthwhile project, and I think it will be extremely =
useful.=20

I would hesitate to call it an IDE, though, as from your description it =
doesn't appear to include any kind of editor. Thus while it's extremely =
useful for experimenting with Ruby (hence the name), it's not going to =
be ideal for helping newbies learn to write programs in Ruby.=20

Is there any chance you might want to push this project a bit further =
and include a basic editor?=20

-- v=

Vincent Manis

Include interactive_editor with a default editor on the system and it
suddenly has a text editor -- without having to bundle the text editor
with the Ruby package. Even better, because the text editor is not = tied
to the IDE except by way of interactive_editor, the user can swap out = the
default editor for another.

Is this something a newbie can understand and use effectively? (That's =
not a rhetorical question, I really don't know what the answer might =
be.)=20=

Eric Promislow

The recent thread on newbie-friendliness and a "ruby in a box" IDE
made me wonder what the dedicated ruby IDEs or text editors with IDE
features out there were (as opposed to ruby plugins for larger,
general-purpose IDEs and editors). So far, the active projects I've
seen are

* Arcadia [http://arcadia.rubyforge.org/]
* Redcar [http://redcareditor.com/]

Others?

martin

There's always Komodo, which has been supporting Ruby since 2004.

The advantage of a multi-language IDE is that it stays up to date --
I'm
adding CoffeeScript support to it right now, answering this question
during
a compile.

.... which is over. Time to test it.

- Eric