    hi all,

    is there a tool around to monitor in comming and outgoing soap messages ?

    thanks,

    Maersa, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Yes, I think there are a few codes snippets out there that does
    that...Basically it uses SOAP Extensions to do it.

    My recommendation is to download WSE1SP1 from MS' site. You can specify at
    the Web.config file whether or not to enable SOAP Tracing and gives you the
    option to specify the file names for both input and output SOAP Traces.

    hth

    --
    Thank you very much

    Warmest Regards,
    William T (Willie) - Softwaremaker
    Architect | Evangelist | Consultant

    Microsoft Regional Director
    http://www.microsoft.com/rd

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Softwaremaker, Mar 4, 2004

  3. This is the extension in the Web.Config file that will enable tracing.

    <microsoft.web.services>
    <diagnostics>
    <trace enabled="true" input="inputtrace.xml" output="outputtrace.xml"/>
    </diagnostics>
    </microsoft.web.services>

    Remember to download the WSE1SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com

    Softwaremaker, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Maersa

    Maersa Guest

    Hi William,

    Thanks for the answer, but what if the Webservice was developed by some
    other party and you'd like to monitor it. Would the way you suggested work ?

    thanks,

    ?

    Maersa, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Hello,

    OK. I see your point. I have not tested it out before on a third party WS
    Component before BUT I have no reason to believe it otherwise.

    Download and install WSE1SP1 then go to the specific web.config file of the
    web service you would like to trace and add the relevant sections (which was
    described below).

    If you prefer not to do that and rather install a small tool or utlility to
    listen in on SOAP Messages on IIS, there is another alternative you may want
    to look at that may work in your scenario. Microsoft used to have s SOAP
    Trace Utility that comes with their MS SOAP Toolkit. However, that has been
    retired by the .NET Framework
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/soaptk/default.aspx

    However, PocketSOAP.com has a free utility that works the same way and with
    the reviews it has gotten, seems to be doing the job well. Check it out
    here. http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/

    hth

    Softwaremaker, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Maersa

    Maersa Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the help, the exact tool I was looking for.

    Maersa, Mar 5, 2004