SOAP Message sender info

Zowie

Hi.

Im just starting using SOAP Extensions to intercept web service
requests to and from one server.
I would like to know if there is a way to find what application made
the request (for the outgoing requests) or even wich server it came
from (in case of an incoming request), using the intercepted message.

Is there a way of getting this kind of info out of the SOAP Message?

Thanks in advance

Zowiee (SOAP Newbie)

John Saunders

Zowie said:
Hi.

Im just starting using SOAP Extensions to intercept web service
requests to and from one server.
I would like to know if there is a way to find what application made
the request (for the outgoing requests) or even wich server it came
from (in case of an incoming request), using the intercepted message.

Is there a way of getting this kind of info out of the SOAP Message?

No.

What's an "application"? How would .NET identify an application and then
know that the application was making a web services call? If it knew both,
then it could put information on the application in the SOAP message, but
then only .NET would understand that information on the other side.

Perhaps if you told us _what_ you want to accomplish instead of _how_ you
want to accomplish it, we might be able to help.

John

Zowie

Thank you for your reply.

Of course you're right.

What i was thinking, and please remember i am really newbie at this,
was the following:
I have some web applications on one server that reference some remote
web services, and on the other hand my server has web services that
are accessed from other computers (all in an intranet, .net on all
computers).
What i would like is, without having to change the web applications,
to log all the web requests made from my server, but identifying from
wich web application it came from (if that makes any sense). The same
regarding the incoming requests.

Thank you

John Saunders escreveu:

John Saunders

Zowie said:
Thank you for your reply.

Of course you're right.

What i was thinking, and please remember i am really newbie at this,
was the following:
I have some web applications on one server that reference some remote
web services, and on the other hand my server has web services that
are accessed from other computers (all in an intranet, .net on all
computers).
What i would like is, without having to change the web applications,
to log all the web requests made from my server, but identifying from
wich web application it came from (if that makes any sense). The same
regarding the incoming requests.

None of this will happen by magic. You'll have to
1) Determine, at the site of the web service call, how to identify the
application making the call. This could be as simple as identifying the host
name and the root of the web application
2) Send that identifying information in the web service call
3) Receive that information in the web service and log it

You could put that information into a SOAP header, and it could be logged on
the other side. Remote callers to your web service could do the same.

On the other hand, since it's not going to be trivial to do this, and not
easy to do it well, you might consider deferring this task until you're more
experienced. Perhaps after you've had occasion to use SOAP Headers for more
"normal" purposes, you could revisit this requirement in the light of your
successful use of SOAP Headers.

John

Zowie

John:

I guess i'll spend some time "messing around" with SOAP headers first.

Thank you very much for your help.