Software Frameworks

skinman

Folks,

I've been writing some Web pages/apps using PERL, PHP4/5, and Java.
I'm wondering about more template-based systems to keep from
reinventing
the wheel. I may just do a few of each style so the next person that
follows me
can pick what they like best? If it can be considered a pseudo
framework, I
like the PHP5 / PEAR stuff so far - HTML_QuickForm, DB, nice stuff.
But the
PERL Mason stuff is looking good too. The more strongly-typed Java
framework
things offer some cool out-of-the-box graphics ability (from something
like SourceForge's EchoPoint) but getting Java Webapps up and running
is a different animal than the
PHP and PERL scripting. What have been your experiences with PERL
Mason?

fishfry

skinman said:
[...]

In my (somewhat limited) experience, the Mason module model doesn't
combined well with object orientation. When you come into a Mason module
your environment is full of global variables from prior modules. It
quickly becomes a mess.

(I'm sure the Mason pros will disagree ... I'm just saying what I've
seen from some passing involvement on a couple of projects).

I like Template Toolkit for separating data from presentation. For
modularity, I like plain old object design.