    is a different animal than the
    PHP and PERL scripting. What have been your experiences with PERL
    Mason?

    skinman, Jul 21, 2006

  2. skinman

    fishfry Guest

    In article <>,
    "skinman" <> wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > I've been writing some Web pages/apps using PERL, PHP4/5, and Java.
    > I'm wondering about more template-based systems to keep from
    > reinventing
    > the wheel. I may just do a few of each style so the next person that
    > follows me
    > can pick what they like best? If it can be considered a pseudo
    > framework, I
    > like the PHP5 / PEAR stuff so far - HTML_QuickForm, DB, nice stuff.
    > But the
    > PERL Mason stuff is looking good too. The more strongly-typed Java
    > framework
    > things offer some cool out-of-the-box graphics ability (from something
    > like SourceForge's EchoPoint) but getting Java Webapps up and running
    > is a different animal than the
    > PHP and PERL scripting. What have been your experiences with PERL
    > Mason?

    In my (somewhat limited) experience, the Mason module model doesn't
    combined well with object orientation. When you come into a Mason module
    your environment is full of global variables from prior modules. It
    quickly becomes a mess.

    (I'm sure the Mason pros will disagree ... I'm just saying what I've
    seen from some passing involvement on a couple of projects).

    I like Template Toolkit for separating data from presentation. For
    modularity, I like plain old object design.

    fishfry, Jul 25, 2006