    Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

    Thanks

    , Apr 3, 2008

  2. "" <> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering in C,
    > and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of Kernighan. And
    > pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I went to Amazon, and the
    > comments also say the same thing.
    >
    > Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box today, and
    > the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh no! Pascal doesn't
    > even exist nowadays...

    Delphi seems still alive; out of my environment but still alive.

    > What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it related
    > to C.
    > Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

    Reading it? It's a good book IMHO. A rare book where you can see how
    programs evolves instead of presenting the result.

    The relationship with C? I've read C code which looked less like C that
    the Pascal code in that book. As the saying says that a FORTRAN programmer
    can program in FORTRAN with every language, that book is a proof that C
    programmers can program in C with Pascal.

    Yours,

    --
    Jean-Marc

    Jean-Marc Bourguet, Apr 3, 2008

  3. CBFalconer Guest

    "" wrote:

    > a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering
    > in C, and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of
    > Kernighan. And pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I
    > went to Amazon, and the comments also say the same thing.
    >
    > Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box
    > today, and the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh
    > no! Pascal doesn't even exist nowadays...
    >
    > What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it
    > related to C. Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

    Try comp.lang.pascal.ansi-iso. Cross-posted and f'ups set.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Apr 3, 2008
  4. "" <> writes:

    > Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box today,
    > and the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh no! Pascal
    > doesn't even exist nowadays...

    Not true. And at least one is quite alive
    http://www.freepascal.org/

    Regards
    Friedrich

    --
    Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.

    Friedrich Dominicus, Apr 4, 2008

    Thanks all. Just got freepascal. I hope this book will help me write
    better C too.

    , Apr 4, 2008