Software tools in Pascal: did I make a mistake?

noagbodjivictor

Hello,

a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering in C,
and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of Kernighan. And
pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I went to Amazon, and the
comments also say the same thing.

Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box today,
and the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh no! Pascal
doesn't even exist nowadays...

What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it related
to C.
Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

Thanks

Jean-Marc Bourguet

Hello,

a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering in C,
and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of Kernighan. And
pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I went to Amazon, and the
comments also say the same thing.

Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box today, and
the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh no! Pascal doesn't
even exist nowadays...

Delphi seems still alive; out of my environment but still alive.
What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it related
to C.
Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

Reading it? It's a good book IMHO. A rare book where you can see how
programs evolves instead of presenting the result.

The relationship with C? I've read C code which looked less like C that
the Pascal code in that book. As the saying says that a FORTRAN programmer
can program in FORTRAN with every language, that book is a proof that C
programmers can program in C with Pascal.

Yours,

CBFalconer

a while ago, someone asked a question about software engineering
in C, and someone else proposed Software tools in Pascal of
Kernighan. And pointed that it was not about Pascal at all. I
went to Amazon, and the comments also say the same thing.

Well I just got my order of the book; it came into my mail box
today, and the preface suggests a "Standard Pascal compiler." Oh
no! Pascal doesn't even exist nowadays...

What's in this book that a C programmer can learn? How is it
related to C. Now that I have it, I must do something with it...

Try comp.lang.pascal.ansi-iso. Cross-posted and f'ups set.

noagbodjivictor

Thanks all. Just got freepascal. I hope this book will help me write
better C too.