SOLVED!! CS0016 Compilation Error: Finally I got the solution

RedEagle

Hi All!
Do you remember me? I am that desperate who had this error for a
while:

---
Compilation Error
required to service this request. Please review the following specific
error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file
'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\4a2d48d3\bcaf750b\bp-we_xs.dll' -- 'The directory name is
invalid. '
---

Now the whole story... A long time ago (one month) March 01, 2005 I
wrote a message here in this newsgroup asking for help and no one
answered because no one seemed to have my problem. The subject of that
message was:
HELP!! CS0016 Compilation Error on Windows 2003"

Part of the text was:
I have the following problem with ASP.NET running on Windows 2003. My
configuration is:

1) Windows 2003 Server Standard
2) ASP.NET running in IIS5 Isolation mode (aspnet_wp.exe is alive and
kicking)
3) .NET Framework v1.1.4322 (updated by Windows update)
4) My application running on d:\myapp directory (not c:\Inetpub)

My problem was pretty terrible: after some time, or right after an
xcopy deployment OVER an existing web site, the aspx pages would never
work, throwing the CS0016 error above.

Well, dear guys and ladies, excuse my polished way: F**K THE
ANTIVIRUS!!!
F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!!
F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!!

And now that I am very calm and happy, I strongly suggest you few
basic rules:

1) DON'T INSTALL ANY ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR SERVER!!! I tried personally
NOD32 and Norton Symantec Antivirus Corporate, they just don't work!
Nod32 crash the system as soon as you access an ASPX page and the
norton bothers iis6 so much that asp pages can't be compiled again!

2) DON'T INSTALL ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER!! I didn't have
any software firewall installed, but I have been reading lot of bad
news!

3) KEEP YOUR SERVER CLEAN!! Don't install any real time file system
monitors, or anything similar, Windows 2003 will slow down and crash
after some huge load on IIS.

The funny thing is that NO ONE have ever had this problem, not even in
the web farm where we are renting our servers! They install the
Symantec Corporate by default, and I had to uninstall it to check this
bug out. If it was me, I would have never installed any antivirus, but
I had it pre-installed so I thought "What the hell, it doesn't hurt
anyone..." SURE!!! It hurt a lot!

This is the first time I post a message here with a solution, and even
if it may seem a simple solution it cost me a lot. So I would like to
thank you all those ones out there that I have never had the pleasure
to thank for all solutions that they provided me.

Newsgroups rule!!

An happy,
Red Eagle

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hey Red,

That's very good of you to report back.

Almost certainly it will save someone else from going through the same
grief!

Ken

WJ

RedEagle said:
1) DON'T INSTALL ANY ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR SERVER!!! >

AV software make those who are computer illiterate feel good
psychologically. It also makes security inspectors to approve one's system
easily because the inspector himself knows no better.
2) DON'T INSTALL ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER!! >

Nothing wrong with FW, you just need to welcome http stuffs. However, it is
best to do it at the router box.

John

RedEagle

Hi John!
AV software make those who are computer illiterate feel good
psychologically. It also makes security inspectors to approve one's system
easily because the inspector himself knows no better.

I totally agree. It's pretty hard to find some people who know
something about what they are doing or saying! :)

Nothing wrong with FW, you just need to welcome http stuffs. However, it is
best to do it at the router box.

Well, I tell you, there MANY messages on the internet about software
firewalls that really make IIS go crazy! Actually I tried Zone Alarm
on my machine and it really sucks. Even if I open EVERYTHING, all
ports, to allow localhost processes to do whatever they want, result:
I had lot of crashes. Uninstalled Zone Alarm, problem solved. :)

Since almost 3 years everything is behind REAL firewalls, and I am
sure there are bugs in firmwares too, but at least they don't bother
me or developing tools! :)

Have the nicest day! And thank for replying!

Red Eagle

RedEagle

RedEagle said:
What is the IP address of your server...? ;-)

If you give me your email and phone number I will tell you my IP address... :)

Anyway our servers are behind hardware firewall, so don't worry, I feel good! :)

jakespeed

CS0016
I have a simple web page using asp, which has a button and a label
Click the button and it changes the label.text.
This works fine with IIS 4.0 and 5.0.

I created a similar aspx file (button and label)using C#, asp.net we
page. Created a local website on IIS 6.0. It gives CS0016 error.

required to service this request. Please review the following specifi
error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output fil
'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NE
Files\root\f14a6e2f\a179231d\s5leiecm.dll' -- 'Access is denied. '

The point is why should my simple web page write a dll on to the har
disk in the temp directory.
The idea of not having antivirus on any comp seems dangerous.
Even IE always gives lot of trouble. Unexpectedly it picks exe's fro
some where and writes it to the hard disk. All these probs dont occu
on WebSphere nor while using Netscape or Mozilla. There should be
proper solution other than changing user rights or removing antivirus.

Jak

-
jakespee

RedEagle

I am sorry to hear your error, but it's easy to sort it out, it's an
access denied issue, read the IIS6 documentation and give enough
rights to the NETWORK SERVICE (full access on TEMP IIS files under the
Framework dir).

My error was different, it said "Invalid directory", which was untrue,
the directory existed!

The point is why should my simple web page write a dll on to the hard
disk in the temp directory.

Because it's a new software technology, and they decided to make it
that way. Maybe you should write to Microsoft.

The idea of not having antivirus on any comp seems dangerous.

Antiviruses SUCK on servers, they break down the performance and they
put themselved between software layers. Administrators of high
performance application servers should never need antiviruses simply
because there is no need of them.

Even IE always gives lot of trouble. Unexpectedly it picks exe's from
some where and writes it to the hard disk.

Really? Please tell me deep details about that.
IE like Firefox or any other program has got bugs.

All these probs dont occur
on WebSphere nor while using Netscape or Mozilla. There should be a
proper solution other than changing user rights or removing antivirus.

Jake

Well, Jake, I don't want to start a flame about .NET vs WebSphere. I
just want to say I used both of them and .NET has been my choice. The
code behind, all .NET classes, and all third part components out there
(available as drag and drops on ASPX forms) really make the difference
between the "old style" web programming (ASP, JSP, and so on...) and
this new one.

Red Eagle

Joined
Aug 28, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had the same problem "Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\........' -- 'Access is denied. '" when I was testing IIS 7.0 in a Vista Home premium box.

It looks obvious that you shoud give give enough rights to the NETWORK SERVICE account but I doble checked and all the rights are granted on this directory.

I found that you need to give rights to the NETWORK SERVICE account on C:\windows\temp folder also. As soon as I give access to this folder everything works for me.

So you may try granting Full Accesses for NETWORK SERVICE on C:\Windows\Temp.

Norberto Burciaga

Joined
Jul 17, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
NorbertoBurciaga said:
I had the same problem "Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\........' -- 'Access is denied. '" when I was testing IIS 7.0 in a Vista Home premium box.

It looks obvious that you shoud give give enough rights to the NETWORK SERVICE account but I doble checked and all the rights are granted on this directory.

I found that you need to give rights to the NETWORK SERVICE account on C:\windows\temp folder also. As soon as I give access to this folder everything works for me.

So you may try granting Full Accesses for NETWORK SERVICE on C:\Windows\Temp.

Norberto Burciaga

I was having the same problem on my Vista home premium box. Your solution resolved the issue, the funny thing was that it just stopped working all of a sudden. Anyway thanks for the post.