SOLVED!! CS0016 Compilation Error: Finally I got the solution

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by RedEagle, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. RedEagle

    RedEagle Guest

    Hi All!
    Do you remember me? I am that desperate who had this error for a
    while:

    ---
    Compilation Error
    required to service this request. Please review the following specific
    error details and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file
    'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root\4a2d48d3\bcaf750b\bp-we_xs.dll' -- 'The directory name is
    invalid. '
    ---

    Now the whole story... A long time ago (one month) March 01, 2005 I
    wrote a message here in this newsgroup asking for help and no one
    answered because no one seemed to have my problem. The subject of that
    message was:

    >HELP!! CS0016 Compilation Error on Windows 2003"

    Part of the text was:

    >I have the following problem with ASP.NET running on Windows 2003. My
    >configuration is:
    >
    >1) Windows 2003 Server Standard
    >2) ASP.NET running in IIS5 Isolation mode (aspnet_wp.exe is alive and
    >kicking)
    >3) .NET Framework v1.1.4322 (updated by Windows update)
    >4) My application running on d:\myapp directory (not c:\Inetpub)

    My problem was pretty terrible: after some time, or right after an
    xcopy deployment OVER an existing web site, the aspx pages would never
    work, throwing the CS0016 error above.

    Well, dear guys and ladies, excuse my polished way: F**K THE
    ANTIVIRUS!!!
    F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!!
    F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!! F**K THE ANTIVIRUS!!!

    And now that I am very calm and happy, I strongly suggest you few
    basic rules:

    1) DON'T INSTALL ANY ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR SERVER!!! I tried personally
    NOD32 and Norton Symantec Antivirus Corporate, they just don't work!
    Nod32 crash the system as soon as you access an ASPX page and the
    norton bothers iis6 so much that asp pages can't be compiled again!

    2) DON'T INSTALL ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER!! I didn't have
    any software firewall installed, but I have been reading lot of bad
    news!

    3) KEEP YOUR SERVER CLEAN!! Don't install any real time file system
    monitors, or anything similar, Windows 2003 will slow down and crash
    after some huge load on IIS.

    The funny thing is that NO ONE have ever had this problem, not even in
    the web farm where we are renting our servers! They install the
    Symantec Corporate by default, and I had to uninstall it to check this
    bug out. If it was me, I would have never installed any antivirus, but
    I had it pre-installed so I thought "What the hell, it doesn't hurt
    anyone..." SURE!!! It hurt a lot!

    This is the first time I post a message here with a solution, and even
    if it may seem a simple solution it cost me a lot. So I would like to
    thank you all those ones out there that I have never had the pleasure
    to thank for all solutions that they provided me.

    Newsgroups rule!!

    An happy,
    Red Eagle
    RedEagle, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Hey Red,

    That's very good of you to report back.

    Almost certainly it will save someone else from going through the same
    grief!

    Ken

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Mar 30, 2005

  3. RedEagle

    WJ Guest

    "RedEagle" <> wrote in message

    > 1) DON'T INSTALL ANY ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR SERVER!!! >

    AV software make those who are computer illiterate feel good
    psychologically. It also makes security inspectors to approve one's system
    easily because the inspector himself knows no better.

    > 2) DON'T INSTALL ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER!! >

    Nothing wrong with FW, you just need to welcome http stuffs. However, it is
    best to do it at the router box.

    John
    WJ, Mar 30, 2005
  4. RedEagle

    Mark Rae Guest

    "RedEagle" <> wrote in message

    > 1) DON'T INSTALL ANY ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR SERVER!!!
    > 2) DON'T INSTALL ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER!!

    What is the IP address of your server...? ;-)
    Mark Rae, Mar 30, 2005
  5. RedEagle

    RedEagle Guest

    Hi John!

    > "RedEagle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 1) DON'T INSTALL ANY ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR SERVER!!! >

    > AV software make those who are computer illiterate feel good
    > psychologically. It also makes security inspectors to approve one's system
    > easily because the inspector himself knows no better.

    I totally agree. It's pretty hard to find some people who know
    something about what they are doing or saying! :)

    > > 2) DON'T INSTALL ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER!! >

    > Nothing wrong with FW, you just need to welcome http stuffs. However, it is
    > best to do it at the router box.

    Well, I tell you, there MANY messages on the internet about software
    firewalls that really make IIS go crazy! Actually I tried Zone Alarm
    on my machine and it really sucks. Even if I open EVERYTHING, all
    ports, to allow localhost processes to do whatever they want, result:
    I had lot of crashes. Uninstalled Zone Alarm, problem solved. :)

    Since almost 3 years everything is behind REAL firewalls, and I am
    sure there are bugs in firmwares too, but at least they don't bother
    me or developing tools! :)

    Have the nicest day! And thank for replying!

    Red Eagle
    RedEagle, Mar 31, 2005
  6. RedEagle

    RedEagle Guest

    > "RedEagle" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > 1) DON'T INSTALL ANY ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR SERVER!!!
    > > 2) DON'T INSTALL ANY FIREWALL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER!!

    > What is the IP address of your server...? ;-)

    If you give me your email and phone number I will tell you my IP address... :)

    Anyway our servers are behind hardware firewall, so don't worry, I feel good! :)
    RedEagle, Mar 31, 2005
  7. RedEagle

    jakespeed Guest

    CS0016
    I have a simple web page using asp, which has a button and a label
    Click the button and it changes the label.text.
    This works fine with IIS 4.0 and 5.0.

    I created a similar aspx file (button and label)using C#, asp.net we
    page. Created a local website on IIS 6.0. It gives CS0016 error.

    required to service this request. Please review the following specifi
    error details and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output fil
    'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NE
    Files\root\f14a6e2f\a179231d\s5leiecm.dll' -- 'Access is denied. '

    The point is why should my simple web page write a dll on to the har
    disk in the temp directory.
    The idea of not having antivirus on any comp seems dangerous.
    Even IE always gives lot of trouble. Unexpectedly it picks exe's fro
    some where and writes it to the hard disk. All these probs dont occu
    on WebSphere nor while using Netscape or Mozilla. There should be
    proper solution other than changing user rights or removing antivirus.

    Jak

    -
    jakespee
    jakespeed, Apr 5, 2005
  8. RedEagle

    RedEagle Guest

    I am sorry to hear your error, but it's easy to sort it out, it's an
    access denied issue, read the IIS6 documentation and give enough
    rights to the NETWORK SERVICE (full access on TEMP IIS files under the
    Framework dir).

    My error was different, it said "Invalid directory", which was untrue,
    the directory existed!

    > The point is why should my simple web page write a dll on to the hard
    > disk in the temp directory.

    Because it's a new software technology, and they decided to make it
    that way. Maybe you should write to Microsoft.

    > The idea of not having antivirus on any comp seems dangerous.

    Antiviruses SUCK on servers, they break down the performance and they
    put themselved between software layers. Administrators of high
    performance application servers should never need antiviruses simply
    because there is no need of them.

    > Even IE always gives lot of trouble. Unexpectedly it picks exe's from
    > some where and writes it to the hard disk.

    Really? Please tell me deep details about that.
    IE like Firefox or any other program has got bugs.

    > All these probs dont occur
    > on WebSphere nor while using Netscape or Mozilla. There should be a
    > proper solution other than changing user rights or removing antivirus.
    >
    > Jake

    Well, Jake, I don't want to start a flame about .NET vs WebSphere. I
    just want to say I used both of them and .NET has been my choice. The
    code behind, all .NET classes, and all third part components out there
    (available as drag and drops on ASPX forms) really make the difference
    between the "old style" web programming (ASP, JSP, and so on...) and
    this new one.

    Red Eagle
    RedEagle, Apr 10, 2005
  9. RedEagle

    NorbertoBurciaga

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I had the same problem "Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\........' -- 'Access is denied. '" when I was testing IIS 7.0 in a Vista Home premium box.

    It looks obvious that you shoud give give enough rights to the NETWORK SERVICE account but I doble checked and all the rights are granted on this directory.

    I found that you need to give rights to the NETWORK SERVICE account on C:\windows\temp folder also. As soon as I give access to this folder everything works for me.

    So you may try granting Full Accesses for NETWORK SERVICE on C:\Windows\Temp.

    Norberto Burciaga
    NorbertoBurciaga, Aug 28, 2008
  10. RedEagle

    thelukemccarthy

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I was having the same problem on my Vista home premium box. Your solution resolved the issue, the funny thing was that it just stopped working all of a sudden. Anyway thanks for the post.
    thelukemccarthy, Jul 17, 2010