Source Safe has finally lost it

David

I can't see any files in the one of the project folders. It just says,
"Error Reading from File". When I attempt to open up the another project
folder, "File "E:\VSS\data\p\ptaaaaaa.b" not found"

Two questions.

- I will not try to fight Source Safe any more. It's been going on for
years and I am ready to accept defeat. What alternatives are there right
now to migrate over with the least amount of pain. I really don't care
about the history of changes at this point.

- What can I do to recover files from Souce Safe?

Steve Willcock

David, we use SourceGear Vault which has proved to be very good overall and
has good integration with the Visual Studio IDE - http://www.sourcegear.com/
It also has good facilities to import Source Safe files.

Alternatively you could try using CVS (open source solution -
http://https://www.cvshome.org/) which works quite well and which we were
using for a while, but we didn't find a good way to integrate with the
Visual Studio.NET IDE. This was about a year ago now though and there may be
a good way to integrate with the Visual Studio IDE using CVS by this point
(Does anyone else know this???)

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

- What can I do to recover files from Souce Safe?

in your project directory, delete the *.vss files and try to re-open the
solution again. it should recreate the corrupted files

David

I tried it. Does not work

I can't even find vss files.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
David said:
I can't see any files in the one of the project folders. It just says,
"Error Reading from File". When I attempt to open up the another project
folder, "File "E:\VSS\data\p\ptaaaaaa.b" not found"

Two questions.

- I will not try to fight Source Safe any more. It's been going on for
years and I am ready to accept defeat. What alternatives are there right
now to migrate over with the least amount of pain. I really don't care
about the history of changes at this point.

- What can I do to recover files from Souce Safe?

Scott Allen

Hi David:

I've used CVS and Tortoise - which are pretty close in the family tree
of source control tools to Subversion. CVS was a very stable tool - I
can't say the tool left a great impression in ease of use or
interface, but it did the job.

The biggest mental hurdle for me to overcome was the fact that you
don't lock a file for checkout. CVS did a good job merging changes
during checkin when the situtaion arose that two people modified the
same file - and it always asked first.

I do know people who are using Subvesion and are happy with it - but
no I can't comment on it myself as I am not using it.

--s

John

I'm using Subversion for ASP.NET development with great success. Using the
TortoiseSVN client:

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Make sure you download the ASP.NET friendly version of TortoiseSVN, the
standard one uses '.svn' folders, which VS 2003 doesn't like (it's a Unix v
Windows macho thing!).

TSVN (TortoiseSVN) isn't integrated into VS, but it is integrated into the
windows shell, so just as good for me!!

They're also implementing a seperate storage layer (v 1.0 uses BerkleyDB) so
that v 1.1 can optionally use the native file system (they call it 'fsfs').
This holds out the promise of a SQL Server version in the future. That would
be cool..

Although although I've never had problems with BerkleyDB.

John