    now to migrate over with the least amount of pain. I really don't care
    about the history of changes at this point.

    - What can I do to recover files from Souce Safe?

    David, Aug 9, 2004

  2. David, we use SourceGear Vault which has proved to be very good overall and
    has good integration with the Visual Studio IDE - http://www.sourcegear.com/
    It also has good facilities to import Source Safe files.

    Alternatively you could try using CVS (open source solution -
    http://https://www.cvshome.org/) which works quite well and which we were
    using for a while, but we didn't find a good way to integrate with the
    Visual Studio.NET IDE. This was about a year ago now though and there may be
    a good way to integrate with the Visual Studio IDE using CVS by this point
    (Does anyone else know this???)

    --
    Steve Willcock, MCSD
    http://www.willcockconsulting.com/

    Steve Willcock, Aug 9, 2004

  3. David

    Scott Allen Guest

    Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/) is making waves as a
    replacement for CVS. There is also a VS.NET add-in
    (http://www.ankhsvn.com/blog/)

    HTH,

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, Aug 9, 2004
  4. > - What can I do to recover files from Souce Safe?

    in your project directory, delete the *.vss files and try to re-open the
    solution again. it should recreate the corrupted files

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Aug 9, 2004
  5. David

    David Guest

    David, Aug 10, 2004
  6. David

    David Guest

    I tried it. Does not work

    I can't even find vss files.

    David, Aug 10, 2004
  7. David

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi David:

    I've used CVS and Tortoise - which are pretty close in the family tree
    of source control tools to Subversion. CVS was a very stable tool - I
    can't say the tool left a great impression in ease of use or
    interface, but it did the job.

    The biggest mental hurdle for me to overcome was the fact that you
    don't lock a file for checkout. CVS did a good job merging changes
    during checkin when the situtaion arose that two people modified the
    same file - and it always asked first.

    I do know people who are using Subvesion and are happy with it - but
    no I can't comment on it myself as I am not using it.

    --s

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, Aug 10, 2004
  8. David

    John Guest

    I'm using Subversion for ASP.NET development with great success. Using the
    TortoiseSVN client:

    http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org

    Make sure you download the ASP.NET friendly version of TortoiseSVN, the
    standard one uses '.svn' folders, which VS 2003 doesn't like (it's a Unix v
    Windows macho thing!).

    TSVN (TortoiseSVN) isn't integrated into VS, but it is integrated into the
    windows shell, so just as good for me!!

    They're also implementing a seperate storage layer (v 1.0 uses BerkleyDB) so
    that v 1.1 can optionally use the native file system (they call it 'fsfs').
    This holds out the promise of a SQL Server version in the future. That would
    be cool..

    Although although I've never had problems with BerkleyDB.

    John

    John, Aug 10, 2004