Source Safe/ Subversion / ?

gwoodhouse

Hello all,

We're thinking of moving our servers from using a very very very old
version of visual source safe to a new version control system -

I was wondering if anyone here had any major dealing with version
control and wether anybody has successfully used the plugins for
eclipse (and netbeans) to include version control inside your ide?

Be great if someone could give me a bit of an idea of what they found
useful and not useful in any similar search?

Thanks alot for your help guys. Hope i get some responses! :)

Graeme

Hunter Gratzner

Hello all,

We're thinking of moving our servers from using a very very very old
version of visual source safe to a new version control system

Free software - classic version control systems. In order of
decreasing functions:

subversion (alias svn)
cvs
rcs

Free software - different philosophies about version control:

mercurial
git

Commercial software

perforce
clearcase

At least clearcase needs a full-time admin (and requires lots of cash).

Gordon Beaton

Free software - classic version control systems. In order of
decreasing functions:

subversion (alias svn)
cvs
rcs

Free software - different philosophies about version control:

mercurial
git

Commercial software

perforce
clearcase

At least clearcase needs a full-time admin (and requires lots of cash).

Wikipedia has a good overview here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

Perforce is available without a licence for up to 2 (I think)
developers, which might be ok in a small shop.

I spent several years using Clearcase and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
At my next job we were doing Linux-specific development but using VSS
for reasons I can only describe as stupid. After an uprising we made a
relatively painless switch to Perforce, and I'm much happier now. It
also integrates nicely with Jira, our issue management system (well,
one of them).

Linus Thorvalds gave a Git presentation at Google a few months ago,
it's available on YouTube. I sat through the first 10 minutes (of 70),
apparently he spends a great deal of time badmouthing everyone but
BitKeeper, another commercial alternative.

/gordon

Richard Reynolds

Hello all,

We're thinking of moving our servers from using a very very very old
version of visual source safe to a new version control system -

I was wondering if anyone here had any major dealing with version
control and wether anybody has successfully used the plugins for
eclipse (and netbeans) to include version control inside your ide?

Be great if someone could give me a bit of an idea of what they found
useful and not useful in any similar search?

Thanks alot for your help guys. Hope i get some responses! :)

Graeme
Eclipse/CVS integrates well and is easy to use.

I also remember quite liking sccs with teamware though I think it's
expensive.

I hate clearcase, it's horrible.

Mark Space

Hello all,

We're thinking of moving our servers from using a very very very old
version of visual source safe to a new version control system -

I was wondering if anyone here had any major dealing with version
control and wether anybody has successfully used the plugins for
eclipse (and netbeans) to include version control inside your ide?

The Subversion plug-in for NetBeans rocks.

That's about all I can contribute to this discussion....

Daniel Pitts

Hello all,

We're thinking of moving our servers from using a very very very old
version of visual source safe to a new version control system -

I was wondering if anyone here had any major dealing with version
control and wether anybody has successfully used the plugins for
eclipse (and netbeans) to include version control inside your ide?

Be great if someone could give me a bit of an idea of what they found
useful and not useful in any similar search?

Thanks alot for your help guys. Hope i get some responses! :)

Graeme
I've used both CVS and Subversion. I like them both, but I like
Subversion more. The only IDE I have used is IDEA, and it has good
integration with both CVS and SVN.

Alexey

--

I just watched the first half of it. He comes across as a total ass.
I'd never seen him speak before and probably wouldn't want to after

Alexey

Hello all,

We're thinking of moving our servers from using a very very very old
version of visual source safe to a new version control system -

I was wondering if anyone here had any major dealing with version
control and wether anybody has successfully used the plugins for
eclipse (and netbeans) to include version control inside your ide?

Be great if someone could give me a bit of an idea of what they found
useful and not useful in any similar search?

Thanks alot for your help guys. Hope i get some responses! :)

Graeme

I've been using CVS for ages now. Never felt like I needed tight
integration with IDE's, seeing as I've gone through several different
kinds of IDE's and have now settled into no-IDE for Java development.
Maybe I'm backwards like that, but CVS and Ant work just fine for me,
though I'm aware of and have used Subversion and Maven as well...

Lew

Alexey said:
I've been using CVS for ages now. Never felt like I needed tight
integration with IDE's, seeing as I've gone through several different
kinds of IDE's and have now settled into no-IDE for Java development.
Maybe I'm backwards like that, but CVS and Ant work just fine for me,
though I'm aware of and have used Subversion and Maven as well...

I'm another long-time CVS user. While SVN claims certain advantages over CVS,
none of the areas of advantage matter much to me, at least not as much as
repeating the learning curve. SVN projects that I'm on tend to confuse me.

If I switched, I'd (temporarily) lose being able to organize the repository
into linked projects, where common subprojects are automatically included,
separate versioning of different files, cvswrappers magic, combining multiple
branches in a single checkout and some other features that I'm sure have
cognates in SVN but I'm just not familiar with them. I'd gain the ability to
version-control directories. CVS has no flaws that impede my work, and so
many features that empower it, so I've been unwilling to switch.

I haven't used Maven at all yet.

While I favor the use of command-line development (emacs + Ant + Java tools),
I'm too seduced by the convenience of NetBeans to give it up, except for
nightly builds and deployments. Those should be done only from command-line
tools.

Kenneth P. Turvey

I just watched the first half of it. He comes across as a total ass.
I'd never seen him speak before and probably wouldn't want to after
this. Out of the 30 min I watched, I think 5 minutes included actual
information and logic, the rest was him either talking about how smart
he is or how stupid everyone else is. What a dick, smart as he may
actually be.

I just watched it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I might look into git. For
most of the things I do subversion is just fine, but he mentioned in
passing finding history on a function that moved across file boundaries.
That would be cool.

He takes pride in his work. I don't think that's offensive. I wouldn't
take the "stupid" stuff too seriously. I think that's just his way of
saying that he strongly disagrees.

I'd probably drink a beer with the guy.

Kenneth P. Turvey

NetBeans supports CVS and SVN.

I use the subversion support and it isn't very good. I end up dropping to
the command line every time I work. It doesn't bother me, but IDE
integration isn't great.